Planning to buy these tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of two sets of summer/all-season tires for the Accord and Civic. Discount Tire Direct really has some good promotions going on.

Looking at Yokohama AVID Ascend in 205/55R16 for the Civic - after rebates $240.20.
H-speed rating - 75,000mi

DTD - 205/55R16 AVID Ascend

And some Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring in 215/60R16 for the Accord - after rebates $223.64.
H-speed rating - 70,000mi
DTD - Cooper CS5 Ultra 215/60R16

I found a website that has every tire plant listed as per the first two digits of the DOT number. Looking up used versions of these exact tires on eBay, in the corresponding sizes, I found both to be made in USA plants. While the manufacturing plant could've changed, I'd be inclined to think they're the same.

Any qualms with these tires? Does anyone have any experience with how stiff the sidewalls are on these tires? I was checking into Uniroyal, the General RT43 and some other tires at Walmart and they all had super flimsy sidewalls.

Both look great, are reputable brands, and the prices are killer. Both have good mileage warranties. I'd be happy however if 50k is achieved.

I can't find a thing to complain about.

Last edited:
My two vehicles have same tire sizes as yours and I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject lately.

My personal experience with CS5 Ultra's has been limited so far (under 10K miles) but positive. Can't say whether or not the sidewall is soft -- kind of subjective. But overall grip, traction in wet/snow, etc have been pretty good for an A/S tire. I have the H-rated 215/60R16 tire. May get a set in 205/55R16 for the other vehicle when it's needed -- we'll see.

I've never had Yokos but the AVID Ascend tire has had good ratings from Tire Rack and Consumer Reports over the years. The latest review by CR ranks it as a an average A/S tire comparing to competition. I read some complaints on TR web site either from actual owners of from testers that traction in wet conditions is not that good...

If you run winter tires for 4-5 months and summer or all-seasons for 7-8 months out of the year then these tires should work well for ordinary driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Here's my thread about the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...r_C#Post4154642

I passed on the Avid Ascends after hearing about their poor wet performance.

sciphi, thanks for posting your thread. Also thanks for updating folks on there as time progressed. I am now 100% dead set on buying these for myself. While we're probably at different ends of NYS, we both probably see similar weather. Early/late snow squalls are a very much so a possibility.

Time to look if the CS5 is available for the Civic.

Quick question for you... are your CS5's made in USA?

After looking again, for an additional $10.92 I can get CS5's for the Civic...

Probably a wise choice from all of the positive talk about the Coopers.

Originally Posted By: anl0109
My two vehicles have same tire sizes as yours and I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject lately.

My personal experience with CS5 Ultra's has been limited so far (under 10K miles) but positive. Can't say whether or not the sidewall is soft -- kind of subjective. But overall grip, traction in wet/snow, etc have been pretty good for an A/S tire. I have the H-rated 215/60R16 tire. May get a set in 205/55R16 for the other vehicle when it's needed -- we'll see.

I've never had Yokos but the AVID Ascend tire has had good ratings from Tire Rack and Consumer Reports over the years. The latest review by CR ranks it as a an average A/S tire comparing to competition. I read some complaints on TR web site either from actual owners of from testers that traction in wet conditions is not that good...

If you run winter tires for 4-5 months and summer or all-seasons for 7-8 months out of the year then these tires should work well for ordinary driving.

Yes, most of the time, all-seasons for us are ran for three seasons. Seems like I'm usually switching to the snow tires in early to middle December and then putting the all-seasons back on around late March early April.

Thanks for your opinions.

My main concern right now about CS5 Ultras is tread life -- I'm down to 9/32 after only about 9K miles on all four tires. The other thing is that handling stability is a bit worse than with the previous set (Kelly Explorer Plus) when winds are strong, esp. at highway speeds. We'll see how well they grip at 5/32nds.

I had the Avid Ascends on an 09 VW TDi Jetta, in size 225/45-17 before turning it in on the VW TDi buyback. They were good all season tires that wore like iron, but were a bit slippery on damp roads. I used dedicated snow tires in winter.

They held up well, and I would buy them again for a similar car. However, I think the All season tire I look to first, if price is a secondary factor, is the Continental DWS 06, available in a wide range of sizes.

The Avid Ascends were built in a plant in Virginia. If a tire is available for sale on the Tirerack site, you can click on the "specifications" and one piece of data presented is the nation of manufacture for that model tire in that size. If you look at some other tires, you will see that different sizes of the same model tire may be made in different countries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back