Odd fastener sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm convinced they exist just to make life more difficult. Case-in-point... I'm looking at a control arm I'll be replacing on our Fusion next weekend, and just to make sure I have the proper size socket, I start sizing up the ball joint nut. 24mm is too big, but 22mm is too small. Imperial doesn't fit either. I looked it up online and wouldn't you know it, it's a 23mm nut. Of course, that's pretty much the only size I don't have in my tool box. So I start looking online... "maybe it's finally time to get a nice deep impact socket set" I say to myself; oh no, none of the sets come with a 23mm socket. I end up getting a deep impact Kobalt socket from Lowe's at $6.99 plus tax, which was the best price anywhere... a win for brick-and-mortar stores I guess. For the record Ford (or Mazda, since you designed this terrible control arm setup) 22 or 24mm would've worked a treat also.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Thats nothin. Try torx,torxplus,12 point and 8 point etc

Those are bit more specialized, but are a different head type altogether. I'm just saying that if you're already using a common hex nut, why not use one that's common? Oh, and you left out the infamous 3-square fastener, which is similar but of course different than the 12-point.

I get the feeling some manufacturers do this deliberately to dissuade DIY knowing full well that most don't own these sizes.
Just buy the odd ones single from the same manufacturer if its not included and available, even now after 45 yrs doing this get caught without one so your not alone.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
In your case I would have risked my standard 23mm socket.

I would have too, but I don't have one. I figured if I'm going to buy a large 1/2" drive deep socket, it might as well be an impact socket.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Thats nothin. Try torx,torxplus,12 point and 8 point etc

Yep, triple square as seen on modern German vehicles.

A lot of those automotive fasteners are made by Auveco. It's a good idea to download their catalog in case you may need it. Enter the part number into Google to find the source. Auveco also has a cross reference in their catalog that crosses their part numbers over to the car manufacturer's part numbers. So if you can't find the Auveco part number on Google, you may find it by entering the GM part number. Another maker of automotive fasteners is Rockford; you can get those at NAPA.

23 mm hex is indeed a bit "odd," isn't a new trick. That was the size of my '81 Mazda's transmission drain plug. No fractional-inch size is close enough to work well. I finally found a deep socket set from J.C. Whitney that included 23 mm.

So sad you put in so much efforst to avoid your local stores.

Why is getting something shipped from the internet so much more 'enjoyable' that patronizing your local stores?

Maybe it was a loss for them since you were so adament on avoiding them, yet they probably saved the day with a smile. Hope that $6.99 dont come out of the kid's college fund or make you homeless. It sure could have been 'better' spent causing UPS and USPS and Fed-ex and countless warehouse workers extra unneeded work.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So sad you put in so much efforst to avoid your local stores.

Why is getting something shipped from the internet so much more 'enjoyable' that patronizing your local stores?

Maybe it was a loss for them since you were so adament on avoiding them, yet they probably saved the day with a smile. Hope that $6.99 dont come out of the kid's college fund or make you homeless. It sure could have been 'better' spent causing UPS and USPS and Fed-ex and countless warehouse workers extra unneeded work.

Oh the irony of this post.

I just used both my 23mm wrench and socket tonight. 750 honda fork caps. I usually end up filling in the missing sizes over time. Got tired of not having them when I needed them

Last edited:
We used to have a Sears Hardware a few miles away. Bought a lot of Craftsman mechanic & yard tools there in addition to occasional plumbing parts. But, not profitable so the location became a Sears appliance store for about three months. Then closed. Now the Sears is across the county. Not worth the trip to see if something is in stock only to be turned away. The keyboard is close to order online.

Both my Hyundai manual transmissions have a very thin head drain plug. Nominally a 23mm but they use a crush washer for sealing and they are hard to remove. The 23mm is way too loose, 15/16"s is much better.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
... The 23mm is way too loose, 15/16"s is much better.
Are you certain it wasn't a 24 mm that was loose? 15/16 inch is about 23.8 mm, therefore would be a snug fit on a nominal 24 mm, not 23. The drain plug on my Mazda was 23. Before I found a source of 23 mm socket, I tried to use a 15/16 socket with a layer of something to fill the gap. That was very clumsy, at best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Both my Hyundai manual transmissions have a very thin head drain plug. Nominally a 23mm but they use a crush washer for sealing and they are hard to remove. The 23mm is way too loose, 15/16"s is much better.

My Kia's transmission drain plug is 24mm. A 15/16" socket actually fits a tad better, oddly. Although sometimes I've seen drain plugs be in an imperial size... like our Fusion, but that is a tapered pipe thread plug. I'm guessing yours is 24mm FWIW.

In addition, these fasteners will be in awkward locations so that you are forced to buy short and long tool bits for triple square, Torx, Torx Plus, Hex, and everything else.

If I wasn't able to buy a bunch of good tools second-hand, I wouldn't be able to work on many cars, especially German ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back