What DVR to record HDTV do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of nixing Dish and getting a DVR for HDTV. I already bought a HDTV antenna and I've had it hooked to my Dish DVR to make sure I can get all the channels I like, that's not a problem.

Navigating all the manufacturers and flavors of DVR's though is another story...

Looking for:
1. 500GB or more built in storage
2. NO monthly fees to get the programming information so I can set recurring recordings
3. 2 recordings at once seems fine for my use

Been researching this for over a month and my choice right now is:
TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR - With No Monthly Service Fees - Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player - Compatible only with HDTV Antennas (does not work with cable)
On Amazon it's $400 after tax and shipping.

What do you'all think? Recommendations please?

I have two Channel Master DVR's that I am using with two TV's. I am very happy with them.
When I dropped Directv I purchased a Channel Master and a Tivo. At the time Channel Master had a one time purchase price and no monthly fee. Tivo at the time had a monthly fee with a reduced price DVR. I used both for a year and a half. Tivo's guide is better than Channel Master's. But I liked the internet channels that are on the Channel Master DVR which TIVO does not have. So I gave my Tivo to a neighbor and purchased a second Channel Master.
Tivo does have an advantage that you can add a box to add other TV's to the same DVR. With Channel Master you need a separate DVR for each TV.
I am very happy with my two Channel Masters.

Last edited:
If all you want is the ability to record over-the-air HD programs using your HD antenna, use any old personal computer running Windows 7 that has Windows Media Center built-in. To feed HDTV programs into your PC, buy a SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT device that connects between your antenna and your home's local-area network (or directly to your Windows 7 computer).

You can buy a SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT for about $110:

http://a.co/6lxtiHI

Add a 500GB hard drive to your Windows 7 computer and add a cheap graphics card with HDMI output if you need it. This setup meets all of your requirements.

I have a $35 set-top box that takes a USB hard drive (or class 10 stick) of your choosing. It plays back on TV or one can take the drive and edit the ads out etc on one's computer.

That said it's got a clunky interface and isn't particularly reliable.

There is less compression on Off the Air channels, thus you are much better to DVR OTA instead of cable. Less data is lost, and the picture looks clean and sharp by comparison.

This is obvious when watching an NFL game received from an antenna, next to a one being watched on cable TV. Both are in HDTV, but the game being received from the TV antenna is in a completely different class when it comes to a quality picture.

I have a tablo.

They have a 150$ lifetime guide option for your account so if your device dies you could buy another one and not buy a new lifetime guide subscription.

I have the tablo 2 channel box $148 , with a 3tb usb hdd I picked up for $58
and the $150 lifetime guide.

Havent had anything else but it works pretty seemless. Sometimes it needs restarted after a few weeks.

The roku app is great and from a computer it works fine too.

you can set recordings from a smartphone but not view currently.(not sure why)

Exit32 described the best set up ever. Most people don't know the power Windows Media Center has for TV. It was unpopular so Microsoft axed it in Windows 10 I think.

I have had a TiVo roamio for a couple years now with nothing but an attic mounted antenna. We pay the $14.95 a month for guide service which allows you to see programming several weeks out. I like the TiVo because we can also stream Netflix and other streaming services through the DVR. Best decision ever was dropping expensive pay TV for the TiVo and Netflix

I've had a Roamio OTA since it's introduction. Previous to that I had a Premiere and going back to my days with DirecTV, I had a DirecTiVo.

Nobody does a DVR better than TiVo. Their guide is the best in the business. Their app support is fantastic.

I've built HTPCs with a tuner and when they work, they work. It just sucks when you have to pour through forum posts to troubleshoot an issue on software that's no longer supported or for hardware that maybe doesn't have such robust support. It sucks when all you want to do is record Jeopardy on a daily basis and it just won't work.

If you're ready to deal with self-troubleshooting your rig, an HTPC is a fun project. If you want an DVR that works, you can't go wrong with a TiVo.

Channel Master DVR+ is the ultimate choice.
You really need to look into it and then think no further.
I do see someone else mentioned it in here. But unsure if he is talking the NEW DVR+ vs the old. There is a HUGE difference. Years ago Channel Master came out with a standard unit but just a couple years now came out with the much upgraded and superior DVR+.

Anyway, with the Channel Master DVR+ you can record 2 programs at once, it will scan for your HDTV signals and then through your wifi connection you will have CONSTANT accurate program guide of all the channels you can receive.
You will be able to record TV series and even select to record "New" episodes only.
The DVR+ works EXACTLY like a Cable TV box or satellite TV box when it comes to programming recordings and watching TV.

At one time you did have to purchase the unit (which came with limited storage) and then purchase an external drive, about the size of the palm of your hand it plugs into the DVR+ and works seamlessly. I see now that they offer 1TB internal hard drive and is the way to go, Its all on Channel Masters website.
Its an amazing unit and has been working FLAWLESSLY for well over a year now.
To me, this is the only way to go ...
Clcik here for CM DVR+

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
I have had a TiVo roamio for a couple years now with nothing but an attic mounted antenna. We pay the $14.95 a month for guide service which allows you to see programming several weeks out. I like the TiVo because we can also stream Netflix and other streaming services through the DVR. Best decision ever was dropping expensive pay TV for the TiVo and Netflix

This is exactly what I did. The odd thing about the Roamio model is that even after you finish the one year commitment you still cannot purchase the lifetime guide option. So, you pay 14.95/month indefinitely. Without the guide option you can't do most of the DVR stuff that you want. TiVo's lifetime option costs around $300 so the Roamio may not end up being as good a deal as I thought. But, that combined with Netflix IS a lot less than what I was paying for Dish Network previously. ($25/month v. $75/month).

I wonder if anyone has turned a PC into an effective TV management tool using something like Windows Media Center.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I wonder if anyone has turned a PC into an effective TV management tool using something like Windows Media Center.

http://freevo.org

You guys got me looking at cutting the cord with DirecTV. From what little reading I have done, to me Tivo Bolt seems to be the way to go. Channelmaster looked good also but TiVo has way more to offer in what little I have seen.

This is exactly what I did. The odd thing about the Roamio model is that even after you finish the one year commitment you still cannot purchase the lifetime guide option. So, you pay 14.95/month indefinitely. Without the guide option you can't do most of the DVR stuff that you want. TiVo's lifetime option costs around $300 so the Roamio may not end up being as good a deal as I thought. But, that combined with Netflix IS a lot less than what I was paying for Dish Network previously. ($25/month v. $75/month).

I use Windows Media Center exclusively. I have 2 HDHomeRunPrimes (with Comcast supplied CableCards) and 2 HDHomeRun Duals (OTA). The PC is only the server in my setup. It is not connected to a TV. I use Xbox 360's as set top boxes. They are all connected to my gigabit home network that extends out to my detached garage and my mother's house 2000' away.

This setup has been flawless for two years now. I save a good chunk just in cable box fees (I'll never pay those again!).

Tablo has an excellent guide and is a Canadian product.
It also is only 4.99/mo or $150 for lifetime.

It has all the same functions as described in this thread.

I also have sling for $19.99 for all the cable channels.

total out of pocket now is 21.34 after tax.

Of course that doesnt include internet cost but I would have that even without TV.

I'm only a tad concerned about the effects on streaming service pricing that a pullback on net neutrality might have. The new FCC chairman isn't a fan. For the larger services, like Netflix, Direct TV, HBO, etc. it may be nothing, but I have been suspecting that the cost of video streaming could increase in some areas if ISP's are allowed to charge video providers more for bandwidth.

I'm only a tad concerned about the effects on streaming service pricing that a pullback on net neutrality might have. The new FCC chairman isn't a fan. For the larger services, like Netflix, Direct TV, HBO, etc. it may be nothing, but I have been suspecting that the cost of video streaming could increase in some areas if ISP's are allowed to charge video providers more for bandwidth.

In addition-ComCast is rolling out across the country 1TB/monthly data caps.

Personally I think net neutrality has driven up the cost of internet service to homes and businesses.
These companies need to show profits to their shareholders, if they cant get it from Netflex, they are going to get it from their customers, I rather have the companies like netflex charge their customers then my internet provider charge me for services I do not use.. I believe in free markets.
Im all for repealing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back