Did I just buy a summer tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two Dunlop direzza dz101 tires used at a shop. I can't tell from the sidewall whether they are summer tires.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes they are old UHP summer tires.

according to tirerack.com

+1

Same according to mfg web site.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I don't see any sign on the sidewall.

What sign do you expect?

Krzys

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Their design is self explanatory.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I think the reference is to tread design: looks very "summery" in my opinion.

71dp2ko4t0L._SY355_.jpg

See how there aren't any squiggly lines cut in the tread blocks? Those would be sipes, and you have none, just water evacuation channels. It's actually not the big cuts/channels that give snow traction; it's the tiny ones.

By contrast, tons o' sipes:

250px-Sipe.JPG

Summer tires don't have a sign that says "summer only" or anything like that.

However, summer tires don't have the "M&S" designation that most all-season tires have.

What do you mean?

It is summer/performance design of a tire.
You do not have those small sipes. Also you have much more rubber in contact with a road. For tire to get M=+S designation it has to have 25% of tire grooved with channels etc. Pretty much M+S designation means 75% of tire print has contact with the road at maximum (depends on tire). Also compound is different, which is most important part.

Do used tire shops even take back tires? very shop that sells used tires has a sign that says "no guarantees on used tires"

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do used tire shops even take back tires? very shop that sells used tires has a sign that says "no guarantees on used tires"

I think (hope) they recognize that they shouldn't be selling me summer tires in Feb. in Maryland. They said that I could bring them back. I would hope that the law is on my side.

I think (hope) they recognize that they shouldn't be selling me summer tires in Feb. in Maryland. They said that I could bring them back. I would hope that the law is on my side.

YOU bought them. Why would they be obligated to accept a return, by law?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

They sold me something that I can't safely use, as per the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

They sold me something that I can't safely use, as per the manufacturer.

I'm sure if you are reasonable and just want to exchange them for a pair of all season tires, they will be fine with that. If you want your money back then they may say "too bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back