2014 Cherokee 3.2L Pentastar, PP 5W20 8500 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it 1.5qt or .5qt(report)

instead of putting in a download link to a file
it would be better to upload the image to bitog.

Links have a tendency to go away after awhile rendering the post useless.

Man 1.5 quarts is a little scary. I have about 8300 miles on '15 Cherokee. It's at 30% oil life now, so starting to figure out what I'll use for it. How many miles are on yours?

I dont really think 1.5qt in 8000+ miles is too scary.
Maybe because I owned some subaru's (that didnt burn oil lol)
My Dad's 2013 outback did get a new engine for oil burning.

To put it in perspective to see blue smoke out of the tailpipe continuously
it takes about 1qt/300-500miles or more oil use.

1.5qt in 8000miles.
That is less than 8oz per 1000miles.
Also oil use may accelerate in longer oil change intervals.

For example you might use 1qt in 4000miles then another quart in 2500miles.
not topping it back up when its a quart low can also cause increased consumption.
As my friends niece found out when she ran her car dry on oil...
(well it was only 2qt low last weekMonth)

Did they at least use syn oil.. running conventional out to 8000+ miles in that engine
is not the best idea IMO.

Sorry I didn't see how to attach the UOA to BITOG, and copying the text like the sticky says didn't work at all.

I added 0.5 qts around halfway through the interval and didn't bother again, and the end of the 8560 it was about a quart low around Low on the dipstick. Total miles just under 27k, it has used oil since new.

For reference there is no indication of oil consumption other than slowly losing it over time. I don't have any smoke, smells, no nada. As stated, 1.5qt over 8500 is about 1/6qt or 5oz per 1000 mi. We will see how I fair on this next OCI, I have thought about going to 5w30.

BTW, 8560 mi and the OLM was still at 10%. Like Blackstone noted, normal OCI for their datas was about 9500 mi.

Last edited:
Oh and for anyone else, the 3.2L has a 6.0qt capacity and 1qt low is about Low mark on the dipstick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Interesting. Is Chrysler still holding to the 1qt/1000 mile rule for warranties?

When I worked at various car dealerships Honda, VW,Kia, Nissan, and Suzuki, the warranty for oil consumption was based on a sliding scale. The object was to find out how much oil the car was using first. Then adjust the number accordingly. In other words a customer comes in and says I'm using oil and there are no leaks. The service writer says, how much oil are you using? Customer, oh about a quart every 800 miles. Service writer says, that's perfectly normal sir. I heard as much as 500 miles/quart was considered normal while under warranty. lol

Not sure on the qt/1000 mi rule for the warranty. I am almost certain that if I took it to the dealer they wouldn't do anything. In all honesty, it seems fine, I just check the level cold and top it off every few months.

I'm hoping the rings are just taking their time settling in... Anyone think 5w30 might help?

Originally Posted By: fusseli
Not sure on the qt/1000 mi rule for the warranty. I am almost certain that if I took it to the dealer they wouldn't do anything. In all honesty, it seems fine, I just check the level cold and top it off every few months.

I'm hoping the rings are just taking their time settling in... Anyone think 5w30 might help?

You're right the dealer isn't going to do anything, so don't even waste your time. IMO you don't have a problem to be concerned with. I run 5W30 in my 3.6L Pentastar, according to the OM it is an option. I'd give it a try if your OM gives it the thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back