Savage Axis II XP or Model 11 Trophy XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Savage rifles. I have quite a few Rugers but not a Savage. I'm trying to decide which one of those two rifles to get. It will be used for mostly punching paper and hunting a few weeks a year. Mostly deer and the neighbors [censored] cat, kidding about the cat.

The Axis is obviously they're budget/foot in the door line. It's in .30-06, Weaver Kaspa scope with wood furniture.

The Model 11 is probably a better rifle. Plastic furniture but chambered in .243, Nikon scope.

The Axis is $344 at Wally and the 11 is $580 at the local gun shop. Should I say F it and just get the Axis or pony up the extra $200?

I bought the Trophy hunter 2 back in 2014 and I love it . , Its a Nikon scope, carbon stock, 30.06 I think I paid 3 hundred and change at Cabelas.

I'd look up reviews on both and see what you find.

Also decide how disappointed you'd be if punching paper the groups are bad! Some rifles favors certain loads and brands and bullet types.

A pal once said "I was cheap all my life but it cost me more in the end"

He referred to a car he bought and would fix up to avoid paying more. If spend less and it doesn't work out, then what you spent is wasted.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I would go with the Model 11. Better gun. Better caliber. Down the road you'll be glad you did.

You prefer a .243 over a .30-06?

I'm curious about why...for deer only, at reasonable range, sure, but...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
You prefer a .243 over a .30-06?

No. No way. My mistake. I got it reversed. I thought he said the Model 11 was in .30-06. My screw up. The .30-06 all day and twice on Sunday over the .243.

That's whats in stock, I guess I could order a .30-06. I will be hand loading so I can figure out what she likes to be fed. The local shop has quite the gunbroker listing so I can browse online. I might go for this.

Im loving my Savage 10FCP-SR, in .308. Fit a decent scope on it and its fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im loving my Savage 10FCP-SR, in .308. Fit a decent scope on it and its fun to shoot.

Savage rifles shoot great right out of the box, and offer great value. The 10FCP-SR looks interesting........

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yup, I have the 10FCP-K and it is a tack driver for sure! Great rifle (also in .308).

My 3 Savage bolt actions are the 12-FTR in .308, the 10-FP in .308, and the 110FCP-K in .300 Win. Mag. All 3 of them are boringly accurate. Of the 3 the Model 12-FTR is the most accurate. But it's a very heavy rifle with it's 30" heavy Stainless Steel barrel. Not a hunting piece. The 110FCP-K has the Accustock, along with a muzzle brake, and a fluted barrel. All 3 have the Accutrigger. The 12-FTR has the Target Accutrigger which let's off at around 1-1/2 pounds. All are adjustable. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any bolt action Savage. They offer a lot of gun for the money, and you almost have to try to get them to shoot inaccurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back