Conventional HDEO's in All My Bikes....Who agrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started reading BITOG back in 2006, joining sometime thereafter. Being a university trained scientist (Chemistry/Biology), I was on a quest to find the very best oils for the applications that I had. At times, I would pour an oil in.....hate the way it made my bike feel or sound and dump it inside of 500 miles. I have tried about all there is to try in the past decade.....but I have truly landed.

Most of you are very familiar with the motorcycle UOA's from TucsonDon and Rick_A, regarding HDEO oils. These guys and their willingness to share with all of us has been exceptional. Thanks fellas.

Between the wife and I......we have.

2007 Yamaha TTR230
2004 Yamaha WR426
2004 BMW R1150GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S

We also have a couple of Honda XR650L's that we use in for GraceADV.

I have come to the conclusion that Rotella 15w40 (or some of the other HDEO 15w40's) are about the best thing I can pour in my bikes.

I "get" and understand the reasoning to use synthetic and have used it all, but I believe my bikes all run as good as they can on Rotella 15w40.

I wonder....has anyone come to a similar conclusion?

By the way.....Mobil1 75/90 and 75/140 goes in my final drives and gear boxes.

A quick story. I purchased my wife's TTR230 for a song. I knew that it hadn't been taken care of, but I also knew that I could tear into it and make it right. I had some high dollar synthetic, motorcycle specific oil, on the shelf, that I knew had super high detergent values. I thought....I'll run this oil for a while and get the innards cleaned up. I started up the engine and it was purring like a kitten, running good....and all the sudden it started blowing smoke out the pipe. I mean it was worse than a 2-smoker. I rode it for a couple of days, keeping the oil topped off....but it only got worse. I decided to dump it and pour in some WallyWorld 15w40. The bike kept smoking, but over time it got less and less. I just kept topping the oil off and running it. After about 3 hours on the oil.....the smoking completely stopped. We all know what happened, I don't have to explain that, but this is another reason I prefer convention HDEO in my bikes. I've decided that varnishing might be a good thing. Yes....I know that I am headed to at least a ring job on this bike and maybe a top end.....but the story is the story.

Conventional HDEO's in All My Bikes....Who agrees?

^ I agree.....you should run it in all your bikes! ^

So far having good luck in applying T5 10W-30 is a lot of stuff (bike, generators, lawn mower, snow blower, truck) w/0 issue. It's fast becoming my go-to lubricant. My two cents'...

John.

I ran Super Tech 15W-40 for most of the 83,000 miles on a '99 Suzuki Marauder (VZ800) with no issues at all!

All sounds good, but I find SuoerTech 75W-140 Synthetic gear lube a better buy. Cheaper than Mobil 1 and it has no Limited Slip friction modifiers...which are not needed in a Motorcycle gearbox or rear end.

most bikes run better with higher winter grades so a 0 and 5W's I dont like that and then i get much more stable oil at 10W and 15 and 20W. its because there are a lot less VI (viscosity improvers) it makes the oil more base oil and a more stable oil

yamaha for my last few bikes all state not to go under 10W in the winter grades, and its for that very reason

It's my default oil, unless the bike calls for a 50W. I have used Mystic 15W-50 for those. Once my stash is used up, I'll have to figure out what's going on with the CK-4 oils.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
....and i use T6 in the fourwheelers......

I was also and still am a T6 fan, but I have found that all the synthetic 0w and 5w synthetics....maybe all the synthetics.... are consumed faster in every bike I have ever owned.

Since 2007, I have owned 21 bikes in the past 10 years. Everything from a 230cc up to an 1800cc. I love motorcycles and I like to experience different bikes. I try to find amazing deals on Craigslist, fix them up, ride them for at least three months and then sell them. So far, I am profitable, even with tax, fees, registration and insurance. Anyway, I have never owned a bike that didn't consume some oil and all my bikes drank synthetic faster than conventional....and 15w40 has been the best in non-consumption.

The worst ever...... Mobil 1, 0w40. Oh my goodness.....my VStrom just drank that stuff. 1/2 a quart every 500 miles. I rode that bike 52,000 miles before giving it to brother....and 30,000 miles, it lived on T6.....before moving it to T3. On T3 it consumed 1/2 a quart in 5,000 miles.

I agree, if you need a 10 or 15/40 you cant go wrong. Its always been my personal decision to use conventional oils in my bikes.
I was also a fan of conventional 20/50 Valvoline 4 stroke MC oil in my hot climate.

I now use a semi syn. in my Harley, the Harley doesnt have a shared sump. I too use Mystik 15w50 semi syn. I have years and years worth of supply now as they sent me a double shipment last fall by mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
....and i use T6 in the fourwheelers......

I was also and still am a T6 fan, but I have found that all the synthetic 0w and 5w synthetics....maybe all the synthetics.... are consumed faster in every bike I have ever owned.

Since 2007, I have owned 21 bikes in the past 10 years. Everything from a 230cc up to an 1800cc. I love motorcycles and I like to experience different bikes. I try to find amazing deals on Craigslist, fix them up, ride them for at least three months and then sell them. So far, I am profitable, even with tax, fees, registration and insurance. Anyway, I have never owned a bike that didn't consume some oil and all my bikes drank synthetic faster than conventional....and 15w40 has been the best in non-consumption.

The worst ever...... Mobil 1, 0w40. Oh my goodness.....my VStrom just drank that stuff. 1/2 a quart every 500 miles. I rode that bike 52,000 miles before giving it to brother....and 30,000 miles, it lived on T6.....before moving it to T3. On T3 it consumed 1/2 a quart in 5,000 miles.

strange I've always used T6 and haven't noticed any consumption in my four-wheelers, but i change them once a year regardless of miles/hours

i did run T6 in my R1 for a few years and i didn't notice any consumption, but then again I don't put a lot of miles on it and change it once a year as well. but the last few times i've just been putting 15w40 in it.

I've run Rotella 15w-40 in all my bikes for years. Currently in my Vic XCT right now; just got back from a 250 ride today. It's "warm" here; 50-60F today.

Curious if anyone yet knows about the new CK-4 and JASO-MA? Is/has Shell spoken about Rotella in that regard?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've run Rotella 15w-40 in all my bikes for years. Currently in my Vic XCT right now; just got back from a 250 ride today. It's "warm" here; 50-60F today.

Curious if anyone yet knows about the new CK-4 and JASO-MA? Is/has Shell spoken about Rotella in that regard?

RT6 would have to drop jaso as they have dropped api sn. Pre requisite for jaso is a gasoline certification. Their mixed fleet stuff is cat friendly, which would probably be ok in non shared sump bikes.

HEDOs are great for motorcycles and shared sumps.
I am from the camp that says any HEDO is better then most motorcycle oils.
Most Motorcycle oils are marketing gimmicks to extract the most amount of money they can from you, there is no magic, its oil and most do not have any certifications.

Most commonly used motorcycle oils in these forums ( I SAY MOST!) are not certified by ANYONE. They only CLAIM to meet or exceed. Example, Mobil 1, Red Line, much of the Amsoil lineup.

With HEDOs you know the oils are true certified top on the line oils that meet some of the toughest standards in the world.

By the way, DELO CK4 OIL IS ALSO API SN CERTIFIED OIL. Now on sale in Walmart near me, in fact, a first, I see they also claim an ACEA rating on the back of the bottle! Way cool! Click for source

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Most commonly used motorcycle oils in these forums ( I SAY MOST!) are not certified by ANYONE. They only CLAIM to meet or exceed. Example, Mobil 1, Red Line, much of the Amsoil lineup.

Can you provide us with one common HDEO that's JASO MA/MA2 certified, and isn't "CLAIM to meet or exceed"?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Can you provide us with one common HDEO that's JASO MA/MA2 certified, and isn't "CLAIM to meet or exceed"?

I dont think any exist. But at least they are API certified oils.
Most motorcycle oils are not API certified nor or they certified Jaso oils.
If you do buy an actual certified JASO oil like Castrol Motorcycle oil, then you know its at least an API SG oil as required by the Jaso certification.

Last edited:
I use T6 in my 400EX ATV, it gets too hot being air cooled for me to be comfortable running conventional in. Rather be safe than sorry since synthetic can stand up to the extreme temperatures in this blast furnace of an engine!

I agree. I have only purchased 1 motorcycle oil EVER for the 3 bikes Ive owned and outside of Kawasaki bulk 10w-40 it gets at the dealer it only ever sees and will ever see Rotella T 15w-40 conventional oil. Rotella T conventional oil is very very good and I don't see the sense in using anything else. Not at the walmart price of under $13 of a gallon of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back