Stand alone GPS Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going on a trip soon and I started to look into getting a new map set for the DVD Navigation the truck in my signature. Found the latest map set for the DVD Nav but the price is $179 for one DVD. Yea, just a little bit on the pricey side.

So I am now thinking of getting something like a Garmin Nuvi or similar instead of the DVD Map Set. What do I need to look for when buying a stand alone unit? Which ones are good?

OP, do you have a smartphone? I've found that nothing beats the accuracy or ease-of-use of Google Maps. I drive all over for work, and that's all I've used for 4 years. And now that my cell phone plan includes data in Canada and Mexico, I'll never need our old Garmin again (used to need it for Canada trips).

Running Google maps on my smart phone for 23 hours straight each way ties up a lot of data and resources.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Running Google maps on my smart phone for 23 hours straight each way ties up a lot of data and resources.

I've run it for 8 hours straight and I don't think it actually ends up using that much data. The good part is that it knows when there's traffic in front of you and can automatically re-route you around them. Even the Garmin units with traffic and car ones aren't as good as they just use an FM signal that someone has to send out so that by the time you get it it's possible that either traffic is much worse or already gone so you can't really trust the current traffic condition. If you're set on getting a GPS, just go to Amazon and see which ones they have as a refurb, they're usually in the $100 range with free maps and traffic. I prefer my phone, I use a phone mount for it and also got a Quick Charge 3.0 adapter, a regular cig adapter tends not to provide enough power.

You can predownload most of the google maps data on wifi.

You could also install and offline GPS app to smartphone.

Android auto navigation is nothing short of brilliant(its based on google maps but looks different)

I havent used my tomtom with lifetime maps in about 2.5 years and counting.

No, it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

No, it doesn't.

I don't think you understand. I don't have that latest fancy wizz bang $700 smart phone. It isn't very good at multi tasking.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

No, it doesn't.

I don't think you understand. I don't have that latest fancy wizz bang $700 smart phone. It isn't very good at multi tasking.

You'd be better served in more aspects by getting an entry-level Android from a reputable company than a standalone GPS.

My only gripe is you can't talk on the phone and navigate at the same time. I've had to cut phone calls short because I knew I was coming up on a turn, but wasn't quite sure where.

I'd spend $179 for the DVD and use the built in GPS before I suction cupped something to the dash or windshield.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
My only gripe is you can't talk on the phone and navigate at the same time. I've had to cut phone calls short because I knew I was coming up on a turn, but wasn't quite sure where.

Good, idiots talk on the phone while driving.

That's not true either. The latest Google Maps will play navigation audio over your phonecall if you have it enabled.

You don't need a $700 smart phone. There are decent android units that use to be flagship phone out there in the $100-$200 range now and they used to be $400-$600 when they first came out. Depreciation is massive after a year or two. Check your local craigslist for used phone. Meet at the phone store to make sure you can activate it.

Also not sure about the GPS in your car, but sometimes you can find an ISO image out there and just pop it in, some manufacturers let you do that, others don't. Or pick up a used one on eBay.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You don't need a $700 smart phone. There are decent android units that use to be flagship phone out there in the $100-$200 range now and they used to be $400-$600 when they first came out. Depreciation is massive after a year or two. Check your local craigslist for used phone. Meet at the phone store to make sure you can activate it.

Also not sure about the GPS in your car, but sometimes you can find an ISO image out there and just pop it in, some manufacturers let you do that, others don't. Or pick up a used one on eBay.

Agree with all of the above except Craigslist for a used phone. Buy on Swappa. They have the best buyer's protection and require fully functional devices with clean IMEIs.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Good, idiots talk on the phone while driving.

Idiot, I use Bluetooth but the call screen still pops up.

Originally Posted By: spackard
maps.me has offline maps and nav, for many different smartphones.

Google will let you cache maps too
as well as tons of offline map apps.
but lets not get to facts here.

Instead we should all go buy $200 gps etc.

Honestly I have it both ways. I have the built in navigation on the uconnect 8.4 in the cherokee and while its functional its not nearly as useful as android auto navigation

it transforms the stock android maps/navigation. its free and its from google.

The best part by far is the traffic and congestion routing and easy finding of anything you want along your route via voice or typing(while pulled over? maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back