Marathon now Top Tier Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if they've had their STP additives in gasoline for ten years, why the delay in becoming Top Tier, I wonder. Good news.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Is there a cost to becoming "certified top tier"? Maybe they just didn't think it worth the cost if so.

Good point. Maybe they have to run their own tests and research to present to Top Tier. I definitely think that people are becoming more and more aware of TT (AAA marketing, ECT.) So it would make sense to jump on board now.

That's great news. The least expensive station near me is Marathon.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
So if they've had their STP additives in gasoline for ten years, why the delay in becoming Top Tier, I wonder. Good news.

"STP additives" has nothing to do with STP, Marathon is just paying a Trade Mark fee! They could have changed additive suppliers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Is there a cost to becoming "certified top tier"? Maybe they just didn't think it worth the cost if so.

Good point. Maybe they have to run their own tests and research to present to Top Tier. I definitely think that people are becoming more and more aware of TT (AAA marketing, ECT.) So it would make sense to jump on board now.

It's all here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/

The tests are usually done by the additive maker, which will have the test data ready for the customer to present, along with the concentration of additive used. Some gas retailers might change additives (like winter vs summer additives) or even different additive suppliers. They should be able to provide all the results.

Once they have that there's a licensing fee. Apparently it's not based on the amount of fuel sold, but the number of gas stations representing the brand. As far as I can tell, if TT is licensed to the brand, no gas station under that brand can opt out. I do wonder about something like one-off stations, like the few "Standard" stations that Chevron still has. I guess that's technically still Chevron.

Another thing about Top Tier is that the additives for all grades of gasoline must pass the tests and not just premium like some brands would do.

Any guesses on how long until most Marathons premium tanks have nothing but the top tier formula in them? Just think that it might take a while in areas where premium isn't sold as much before you don't have to worry about getting non top tier leftovers when filling up with 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: dah90
Any guesses on how long until most Marathons premium tanks have nothing but the top tier formula in them? Just think that it might take a while in areas where premium isn't sold as much before you don't have to worry about getting non top tier leftovers when filling up with 93 octane.

My guess would be it was already top tier but now they just paid for the certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back