Tires For 2008 Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm new here but have been reading up on this forum for many years now. I own a 2008 Ford Fusion and need new tires for it. I live in Michigan so the weather can be good or bad at times. Anyway the current tires on it are old and have 55,000 miles on them and are about worn out. They are Firestone Affinity Touring tires. I'm look for a really great tire for a really good price. Been thinking Michelin, Pirelli or Continental but have heard lots of bad things about Continental tires lately. The current tires only have 3 tread grooves in them and want to change to 4 tread groove tires because these 3 groove ones have always moved around on me going down the road more than I like. Looking for something with 80,000 to 90,000 mile warranty so they will last me a long time. Hope to get some great feedback and suggestions from you all. Hope you guys have a great day.

Last edited:
On cars that I have, I like the following tires:

Conti Pure Contact

Pirelli P4+

Cooper CS4

General Altimax

The Pirellis could potentially do 80-90K based upon CR's tire test.
The Contis were a little pricy but the other three were fairly reasonable.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
You want long lasting with good traction? Michelin.

In my experience not all Michelins are long lasting..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics

Interesting - what happened with yours? All of mine have been very long lasting....

I had Defenders on my Civic...they didn't last 1/2 as long as rated. I had verified alignment and carefully maintained psi, rotated at 6k. Discount tire ended up giving me a credit toward new tires of any brand. Bought Continentals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics

The truck/suv michelins all seen to last the milage. The passenger tires seem to fall a little short. I love continental tires, my Malibu came w/ factory pro contacts and when they wear out ima upgrade to the tru contacts.

Yeah, just ignore all of the cracks that seem endemic to Michelin's highest tread wear rated tires, all of which are rated Temperature B.
The Michelins I've had did well, but they weren't rated Temperature B nor were they touted as 90K tires.
I did get 92K out of a set of MXLs, but that was in a different era of Michelin quality.

Number of tread grooves has little to do with "wandering".

I'd get a 130 MPH rated tire so it'll have a cap belt which holds it all together better. If you're happy with firestone affinities you'd be ecstatic with almost anything else.

If you're looking for a cheap tire that lasts 90k miles you're going to have traction issues. It's a triangle and you can pick any two of the three qualities... life, price, and/or traction.

I bought a set of high dollar Continentals for my 2007 Fusion and they didn't last any longer than the Coopers I have used for the last two sets.

I have read a lot of complaints on Continental tires on consumer reports website. They seem to have the most complaints but it seems like they are just for one certain tire by Continental and that tire has blowouts almost as much as the old firestones from the explores.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Not knowing which specific trim level your 08 Fusion is, or even which wheel size you have on it makes it difficult to say for certain, but I made a guess..

Cooper CS5 Grand Touring 205/60R16 - $90 each

80,000 mile warranty, great quality, and incredibly highly-rated.
+1 these will probably be my next set on my Sonata. I had a set put on my grandmother's Grand Caravan, nice tires.

I'd recommend the General Altimax RT43s, but the tread life hasn't been thrilling on my Camry. Decent, but I'd except more.

Well, not sure I would hope for a 80-90k in MI....

Have Cooper CS5 (Grand touring) on my beater on....they have held up very well on the roads here.....

The exact tires I was looking at where Michelin Defenders, Pirelli P7 and Continental TrueContacts. Now the ProContact and the ExtremeContact are the Continental tires I have heard so many horror stories about. Stories like the tires only last 10,000 miles or less and blowout all the times. Sidewalls bubbling up. They seem to be really weak on the sidewall and I need something strong cause I live in potholeville aka a Michigan near Detroit.

I'll look into the Cooper tires. To be honest I've never owned any. I've had everything but cooper and bf goodrich and pirelli

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about ordering tires online from tire rack or tires easy? I've heard all there tires and older stock but idk how true that is.

So far my tire history goes like this. First car was a 1987 Ford Tempo. It has no name tires when I bought it and I switched them to Michelin tires. Then I got a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am that came with Goodyears. I switched those to Bridgestone and when those wore out I switched them to Michelin. Then I bought my current car which is a 2008 Ford Fusion. It came with Continental tires that got switched for Michelin's and then those got switched to Firestone tires and now the Firestones are pretty much toast with 55,000 miles on them. It's time for some great tires again on my baby. Can't wait to get them on here and let y'all know how they do. Just gotta decide what to get. Money is the issue really. Michelin is about 500 plus for 4, same with Pirelli. Continental is about 400 for 4 before mounting and balancing. Decisions Decisions Decisions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back