Quick struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun day...had Sullivan Tire change the oil in my Vic (because my back informed me that I wasn't laying under a car today)...and they found a broken front spring.
33.gif
They also quoted me about $700 to do the front springs. (Uhh, no.)

So, OK, quick-strut time, I figure. Some checking has me pulling my hair out, and I don't have much to spare: none of the usual suspects (Gabriel, Moog, KYB, Monroe) seem to make quick struts for a police Vic. I have found exactly one actually spec'd for the PI...it is from Rock Auto, and made by a company I had never heard of: FCS. SO...has anyone used FCS parts?

Rockauto doesn't list p71 parts do they? All I see less LX parts. I have heard people on panther forums recommend KYB or billstein if you want firmer handling

I never used them but they seem to be inexpensive Chinese made part. I would pay a few bucks more and get a trusted brand, you get what you pay for.

I thought all crown vics had shocks not stuts. This normally makes it much cheaper. A broken spring might be more challenging but if you want to go cheap I would think springs over shocks normally used for towing or load leveling might be an option. Might need to cut the old springs out though to keep the rebound the same.

Good luck

I didn't think Crown Vics used struts, either, but I apparently thought wrong---RockAuto lists them in a variety of flavors.

Last edited:
Also a good welder can repair a broken spring normally. Depends on where there break is at. Might ask around. Many places will just try to upsell you more than you really need. Depends on the car and how long you want to keep it going.

I'd just buy the Monroe.

If you aren't a police officer, I can't see why your car needs "police" struts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd just buy the Monroe.

Really? It's what his car was specified for. It handles better; it has higher spring rates and the shocks have better valving more appropriate for his specified springs. Or maybe it's just what he wants? Nothing wrong with that either.

If you don't have much to spare, I would avoid cheap Chinese parts - you may have to buy twice. Pick up a used assembly from a wrecker, or just pick up a used spring and a pair of quality replacement struts + mounts.

From what I've seen and read the Crown Vic Police Interceptor uses a front shock and the "civilian" Crown Vics use front struts. My 2010 Mercury G. M. has front struts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I never used them but they seem to be inexpensive Chinese made part. I would pay a few bucks more and get a trusted brand, you get what you pay for.

Reread the first post carefully.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd just buy the Monroe.

Because the spring rates are quite different, and the ride height is also different. (P71s ride higher.)

The 03+ Panthers have struts in the front (I think it was 03 or around that time) when they switched to front struts.

Even though the civilian shocks and springs may be different than the P71/Police version, it's still better than a broken apring and blown shocks. New civilian shocks are better than worn P71 shocks, and new civilian springs are MUCH better than broken P71 springs!

KYB is slightly more firm than OE anyway, so it might give you the results you're looking for or at least come very close.

But you can't go wrong with any of the name brands. Get Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel quick struts and you will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Trav

Reread the first post carefully.

What do you want to say? How many other posters in this thread have actually used them.

One more time: none of the usual suspects (Gabriel, Moog, KYB, Monroe) seem to make quick struts for a police Vic. I have found exactly one actually spec'd for the PI. The "trusted brand" simply is not an option! At this point, my choices seem to be FCS or salvage parts!

oh ok sorry I don't know why I didn't get that, age I guess. In that case I would try them, if the original spring failed in 6 yrs the others from a yard might be suspect also.

Last edited:
This one also claims to fit the PI version: https://www.google.com/search?q=811318+GSP+North+America&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I wouldn't be surprised if they all came out of the same Chinese factory. But, even if they didn't have a lifetime warranty, for the price it would not be too bad if you have to replace them every 4 years or so.

Another option would be to purchase quality individual parts at discount and have a shop assemble (compress) them for you. Then you are basically installing "quick struts", avoiding some of the shop labor charges and parts mark up. A search of the Crown VIC PI brings up quite a few dedicated forum hits that talk about I.D.ing the springs, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back