New best summer tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quote:
I said they have a C for wet grip. Not cold grip. Wet grip.

Love threads where someone starts to discuss by far best performance tires in the world, and someone jumps in saying: yeah, but you can get much cheaper, and it is SAME.
I get rash immediately.

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I can buy a set of 4 for less than one of these "best" tires
laugh.gif

15s FTW

My brake discs are that nearly that size!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What's the load range on your PSS? That seems to be the limiting factor for me when I shop for tires. My car has a full 1,000lbs on yours!

If I can ever wear through my DWs, I'll give the Michelins a try.

Still super happy and would recommend the DWs to anyone needing a quality summer tire.

1874 pounds each at 50 psi max. Leaves you 500 pounds plus or so per tire. Work great at 34 psi all around on my car. Likely a bit of air and you'd do well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

What's the load range on your PSS? That seems to be the limiting factor for me when I shop for tires. My car has a full 1,000lbs on yours!

If I can ever wear through my DWs, I'll give the Michelins a try.

Still super happy and would recommend the DWs to anyone needing a quality summer tire.

1874 pounds each at 50 psi max. Leaves you 500 pounds plus or so per tire. Work great at 34 psi all around on my car. Likely a bit of air and you'd do well.

Thanks for the reply! Too late I saw the 102Y rating in the original post. Oops.

Yeah pressures on my car are a bit higher. I run 40 front / 35 rear.

laugh.gif

15s FTW

lol.gif

^This.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Olas
For those of us who don't have ridiculously oversize wheels, the good old Yokohama a539 is still the king.

Not available on the US market apparently, and... that seems implausible to me in any case. Yokohama gives it a "C" for wet grip, well below the Advan Sport V105, which Tire Rack thinks is a match for the Pilot Super Sport...

Agreed on the sizing, though. Really dislike the modern trend toward huge wheels.

eBay and Amazn offer worldwide postage - you can get anything anywhere!
Annnnd, they're summer tyres. When cold wet weather sets in you switch to your winter tyres. It's like saying you'll never buy shorts because they won't keep you warm in the winter - specific tools have specific uses.

I said they have a C for wet grip. Not cold grip. Wet grip.

Slicks grip harder than anything else but aren't great in the wet. All season tyres are a compromise where climate/condition specific tyres are better in their chosen field but sacrifice performance in other areas.
Yoko A539 in the dry/summer and Uniroyal MS 66 in the wet/-7c.

A dedicated tool is always better than a multifunction tool.

No idea where you're going with that. Sorry.

I read it three times and cannot figure out what he wants to say.

No idea where you're going with that. Sorry.

I read it three times and cannot figure out what he wants to say.

I think he's saying he changes his tires every time it rains.

I think it is much easier to find place in the USA where it does not rain than England.

For most of the people street summer tire means excellent wet performance.

Track use, auto cross - then wet performance is not important unless the event happens to be in the wet.

I do not think that either tire (Yoko A539 or Uniroyal MS 66) is available in the USA.

Krzys

For those of us who don't have ridiculously oversize wheels, the good old Yokohama a539 is still the king.

Not available on the US market apparently, and... that seems implausible to me in any case. Yokohama gives it a "C" for wet grip, well below the Advan Sport V105, which Tire Rack thinks is a match for the Pilot Super Sport...

Agreed on the sizing, though. Really dislike the modern trend toward huge wheels.

eBay and Amazn offer worldwide postage - you can get anything anywhere!

Right, so I'll be paying for international shipping and import duties, spending as much as the cost of PSS but getting an inferior product. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense... not.

laugh.gif

15s FTW

FTW after pax in autocross potentially?
I like my 10 year old Michelin

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
laugh.gif

15s FTW

FTW after pax in autocross potentially?
I like my 10 year old Michelin

Oops, I thought I deleted this last night. Anyways to finish my thought, my BFG sport comp2's are probably 10 year old Michelin tech and they work pretty well on the rattle wagon.
You can buy stickier tires in 15" sizes but they are more track oriented.

laugh.gif

15s FTW

lol.gif

^This.

I have no need to overcompensate for anything
whistle.gif

Love my cheap tires.

laugh.gif

15s FTW

lol.gif

^This.

I have no need to overcompensate for anything
whistle.gif

Love my cheap tires.

Overcompensate? Tire is only thing that connects you to the road. If you think that someone is overcompensating by buying best tire, you seriously do not understand what tires do.
By the way, PSS or PS4 are not made for Golf Sportwagen and similar cars. Actually they would not do good at all on that car even if you put wheels that can fit that tire.

Overcompensate? Tire is only thing that connects you to the road. If you think that someone is overcompensating by buying best tire, you seriously do not understand what tires do.
By the way, PSS or PS4 are not made for Golf Sportwagen and similar cars. Actually they would not do good at all on that car even if you put wheels that can fit that tire.

Actually 225/35R19 is the OEM size for the Golf R. And I think they'd be the perfect summer tire for it, or for a Sportwagen fitted with 19" wheels.

I think maybe he means overcompensating for having a performance car - in which case oh well, and he is missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back