I didn't burp my system! (Radiator drain and fill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't burp the system when I did a drain and fill in my 2011 Civic. The guy who was helping me (a backyard mechanic) insisted it wasn't necessary. It's been over a year and 8k miles since this was done. Am I looking at damage being done? Should I do another proper drain and fill or is this a situation that "what's done is done"? Thanks

Last edited:
I have rarely burped my cooling system after an A/F change and have never had a problem.
I add coolant a few times (over the following few days) until it no longer goes down.

"What's done is done' and it's nothing to worry about IMO.

PS: I do know that some makes are more prone to air pockets but I've never had an issue with GM's, Toyota's, Honda's, Hyundai's, Mitsubishi's...to name a few...

It should be burp within 5-10 miles of driving and a cylce of cooling down.
You should see if you need to add coolant at that point.

At this point, if there is still air, your car probably have been overheated.

Usually, the OE t-stat have a jiggle valve that can burp itself.
As it is, all you need is to massage the upper radiator hose after the t-stat is opened to make the burp process faster.

I don't think you need to do this after 8K miles.

If the blowers blow hot all the time it's burped itself - so long as the level is above minimum you're good
smile.gif

Okay thanks to you all. A side question...Does radiator fluid (type 2 Honda) have a shelf life? I imagine it does...? Also...Where do I dispose of radiator fluid? Thanks again!

I'd check the radiator level every morning after driving it the day before for the next 2-3 days, and top up accordingly. I've seen cars take a few days to get all the air out of the cooling system after a drain and refill if they weren't bled right. The heat was working properly too. Have a bit of patience, check it in the mornings as I mentioned and you'll be fine.

Some engines need burping , some do not. Why would there be damage? Have you checked the coolant level in the over flow and looked into the radiator if possible ?A year and for some reason you are now all of a sudden worrying

When the dealer replaced the leaking WP on the Matrix under warranty I noticed the level on the overflow tank take a sudden dive. I took it back and told them it may have been an air pocket. They topped it off and has been fine ever since. Let me see, about 55k miles ago.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Some engines need burping , some do not. Why would there be damage? Have you checked the coolant level in the over flow and looked into the radiator if possible ?A year and for some reason you are now all of a sudden worrying

Yes. Came across some information that was new to me on the internet which caused me to become concerned. It mentioned possible damage and was referring to my car model/ gen. I didn't know if there could be lingering issues. Thanks for the reply. Yes I did all of what you mentioned.

Last edited:
I know the 4.7 V8 WJ has bleeders for the cooling system whereas the 4.0 does not. I did a few drain and fills on my Jeep and even when the engine was to temp, I had no heat. Right as I drove down the driveway and hit a few bumps, it made instant heat.

The Volvo in my signature is a bit more tricky. When the engine is idling, I massage the upper hose until what I feel is good enough, but as soon as you drive it (less than 5 minutes) that expansion tank is dry. Definitely be sure to bring coolant for the test drive.

The Chrysler 4.7, like most engines with the thermostat on the water pump inlet side, is a huge air locker.

Every engine I have ever seen airlocked overheated and boiled over in minutes. The cooling system will have settled itself by now.

I burped my coolant hoses numerous times after draining just the radiator a few months ago. After the next drive the radiator was down approx 1" and needed several cups of fluid to fill it. And for the next several drives it needed a top off, though less fluid each time. Took 4-5 times for it to finally remain full. Had I not done anything, I'm not so sure that the system would have taken care of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back