Used and abused, your input is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yes, it dilutes the concentration. How much depends on the quantity (percentage) of make-up oil that is added, and when it was added during the interval.
thank you .the amount of makeup oil was between 15 and 20% sump capacity.

Just a little update I finally put together and installed amsoil bmk30 kits on both trucks, I bought my own lines and fittings, all steel parker #8 jic fittings and 300* 4300 psi tough guard hose. Fumoto drain valves and 2 dbl3998 donaldson synthetic long life filters and went with schaeffer 9000 5w-40 synthetic.
this was the first weekend of had free in a while so I went ahead and changed the oil in both trucks. I took samples to send to blackstone, the million mile truck with mystik oil was at 16k on the oil sample. The 200k mile truck had 42k on rotella t6 at the time of the sample. I am mailing them out tomorrow .
I am not going to send samples out again until the 20k miles on the Schaeffers unless I feel there is an injector issue or other reason for concern.

The truck with 1m miles The oil oil is usually pretty black immediately. When I finished the install the driver went on a 400 mile run , I checked the oil when he got back and it was still clear. I wonder With Schaeffers detergent on a million mile engine how long the oil Will stay clear . if the 20k samples come back good I will change the ff's at 30k and sample again

One interesting note the bypass added 1.25 gallons of oil, my laser temp gun showed a 20* difference between the oil in And oil out of the filter. I will Check oil pan temps tomorrow when I get the 200k mile truck up to operating temp in 70* weather, before install and oil change I was seeing 190 at the oil return and 202* at the filters.

Just another quick update on still waiting on samples to come back , should get them in the next three days. The truck with 200,000 miles on it is running 24 hours a day since last Monday. Prior to schaeffer oil change the fuel mileage on 3000 gallons was 5.7 mpg. Since the Schaeffer Oil Change and the bypass install the truck has used 450 gallons of fuel and the current fuel mileage is 6.22 MPG . The air filter and fuel filter we're not changed the truck is running the exact same route pulling the exact same load. The truck is running 24 hours a day because the million-mile truck hit a deer last week so the whole front of the truck has to be replaced. The one good thing about it running 24 hours a day is I will sample more bc of the quicker mileage put on the truck. Just a quick side note there really is no idle time with what we do

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The condemnation limit is any characteristic measured that has an established magnitude limit. In this case I was referring to the iron count.

I did, however, make a mistake; I thought that the DD FE limit was 100ppm.
Using this guide:
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/Documents/UsedOil%5C2008020.pdf (page 16)
I see that it was Cummins that has a 100ppm limit, whereas DD has a 150ppm limit for Fe.

Right I get that. But it's for the engine, not the oil.

Those are the levels at which the oil is not considered serviceable any longer. If you want to maximize you drain intervals, you run the lube until the levels of wear metals (or soot, fuel, etc) have come close to or reached the limit suggested by the manufacture.

Since you have decided to try Schaeffer products, I highly recommend you try their UOA service. They will guide you on extending the drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Those are the levels at which the oil is not considered serviceable any longer. If you want to maximize you drain intervals, you run the lube until the levels of wear metals (or soot, fuel, etc) have come close to or reached the limit suggested by the manufacture.

Then in dnewton3's example they are using the iron level of 100ppm as a proxy for the condition of the oil, as iron would not be a contaminate.

That is the last sample from the 1m mile truck it was taken as I was install ing the bypass, 16k on mystik (ignore the 6k sample that is for my a tax write off lol)

Stand by for the 200k mile sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back