Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an '05 Corolla LE after a Bambi destroyed my poor Saturn. Very low miles; good deal.

It came with a set of Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus tires, 195/65R15 91H 520 AA. Made in Thailand, date code 2513, between 5/32" and 6/32" tread left. PO did not put many miles on the car.

Never drove or rode on this model tire before. As of the test drive yesterday and a short cruise today they handled fine. Any thoughts or opinions on these? Thanks.

Someone on here used these tires and had good results.

Can't remember who it was.

Roll on them until you hit 3/32 and replace them with some tires you trust. In the meantime, do some research on what you'd like to replace them with. Perhaps replace them during the DT / DTD 4th of July sale.

The tread pattern looks like a nearly like a copy of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

imageGen.ashx

I had a pair on a beater van my parents had, they did the job. Made in Thailand - Thai tire plants have been making bike tires, and more recently Bridgestone, Michelin and Yokohama have plants there.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I thought Hercules are made by Cooper, as a "value" brand. I don't imagine it will take too long to get them down to 2/32"

I heard the same thing: that Cooper makes Hercules-branded tires, same as Mastercraft and other brands. May well be, but there is no evidence of that on the tire's sidewall or in the listing for the tire factory in Thailand, based on the KA factory code.

These tires won't see 2/32" on my car. I plan to run them the rest of this year, then replace for next winter in November/December. That's 7K-9K miles depending how many road trips I take this summer. If they drop from 5.5/32" to the wear bars in that time something is way wrong.

Speaking of Cooper: If DTD offers an insane deal on the CS5 next week I might jump on it and sell these cheap on CL. It would take an insane deal---but I like to buy and ride on American-made tires when I can. Otherwise I am cool with what I have till next winter.

Thanks for all the replies, btw. Had a busy stretch at work and could not get to the forum for awhile....

I thought Hercules are made by Cooper, as a "value" brand. I don't imagine it will take too long to get them down to 2/32"

Well, if they're anything like the Cooper Zeon CS3-A tires I have on my Fusion, they'll take a good 15-18k to go from 5.5/32" to 2/32"..

Hercules is a private-label marketer, Ironman is their "cheap" brand targeting the Sunnys and Sailuns of the tire world. Some are made by Cooper, others are made in Thailand or China.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

I heard the same thing: that Cooper makes Hercules-branded tires, same as Mastercraft and other brands. May well be, but there is no evidence of that on the tire's sidewall or in the listing for the tire factory in Thailand, based on the KA factory code.

These tires won't see 2/32" on my car. I plan to run them the rest of this year, then replace for next winter in November/December. That's 7K-9K miles depending how many road trips I take this summer. If they drop from 5.5/32" to the wear bars in that time something is way wrong.

Speaking of Cooper: If DTD offers an insane deal on the CS5 next week I might jump on it and sell these cheap on CL. It would take an insane deal---but I like to buy and ride on American-made tires when I can. Otherwise I am cool with what I have till next winter.

Thanks for all the replies, btw. Had a busy stretch at work and could not get to the forum for awhile....

I picked up a set of four CS5 Ultras for my Civic for $83 delivered last year with their crazy sale. Even cheaper than the set of Michelin XZX tires I picked up for my 84 Tercel for $90 over thirty years ago, although the Michelins were better tires, IMO, although they were 13 inchers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back