2007 VW Beatle 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these is for sale near me. I'm thinking about getting it for my daughters. 2.5 has no DI, right?

Yeah, the 2.5 is solid. We have a 2008 Rabbit with the 2.5, no issues in 105K miles or so. Not the most exciting motor in the world nor the most efficient, but it runs solid.

robert

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. 2.5 has no DI. Bullet-proof engine.

Listen for chain rattle. In VERY rare instances you will need to replace the upper chain and tensioner. Fairly inexpensive and easy fix.

Also be aware that the interior door handles like to break over time. There are metal inserts you can buy aftermarket to prevent it from happening.

The 3rd brake light gasket can also leak into the trunk latch and set the alarm off randomly lol. I'd recommend replacing the gasket sooner rather than later.

I once read that VWs with the 2.5 need to have the engine removed to work on the A/T if a transmission problem arose....this would cause me to look for an M/T model (if true)...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I once read that VWs with the 2.5 need to have the engine removed to work on the A/T if a transmission problem arose....this would cause me to look for an M/T model (if true)...

You're thinking of the vacuum pump gasket. It is replaceable with the transmission installed on a manual car, but the transmission must be "split" from the engine to replace the gasket on an automatic car. By the book.

VWVortex DIY - without transmission removal

Or you can just ignore it, which several of my customers did to no ill effect. The job is a pain in the a$$ either way.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Listen for chain rattle. In VERY rare instances you will need to replace the upper chain and tensioner. Fairly inexpensive and easy fix.

Uhh, from what I understand the transmission has to be dropped in order to get to those. Not exactly easy, I wouldn't think. I think the most common years for that problem is 2005.5-2007 engines.

But I think the 2.5 is a great engine, I don't feel it's as doggy as people make it out to be. As said before the vacuum pump likes to leak, but doesn't effect anything besides a dirty undercarriage. I think mines been leaking for 20K miles, I just clean it off at every oil change. The top fluid filled motor mount seems to be an issue as well. They make aftermarket replacements (Black Forest Industries has a complete kit) to take care of that.

The 2.5's timing system was reworked in '06 and again in '08. The later the better.

And you're right. I've got my engines crossed. I just looked it up and the chain on the 2.5 books 14hrs.

If the car had a vacuum pump gasket problem, where would I see oil accumulate?

Originally Posted By: ET16

Down the side of the transmission (drivers side) and typically on the plastic under-guard. Looks like a main seal leak at first, but it is typically the vacuum pump.

Originally Posted By: Delta

Down the side of the transmission (drivers side) and typically on the plastic under-guard. Looks like a main seal leak at first, but it is typically the vacuum pump.

I looked at the car today. It's in good shape and drives well. I may have seen what you describe above. How would I confirm a problem?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The 2.5's timing system was reworked in '06 and again in '08. The later the better.

And you're right. I've got my engines crossed. I just looked it up and the chain on the 2.5 books 14hrs.

True

The later ones (IIRC 08+) are rated at 170hp vs 150hp of the earlier cars.

Oil changes look like a hassle on these cars.

Are the cars meant for topside changes?

Originally Posted By: supton

I was thinking similarly. Maybe change the filter every other oil change.

Originally Posted By: supton

Not exactly. The filter is under the engine from what I recall.

I had a shop look at the car today. It indeed had a leaking vacuum pump, although its replacement was not described as urgent. The car also had leaking cv boots, which is more of a pressing problem for Maryland inspection.

I had a shop look at the car today. It indeed had a leaking vacuum pump, although its replacement was not described as urgent. The car also had leaking cv boots, which is more of a pressing problem for Maryland inspection.

Best to re-grease and re-boot. $286 a side at the dealer with OEM parts and $97.50/hr labor rate. I'll never forget those numbers lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back