Honda Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enjoying recently purchased Service Manual for 2010 Acura MDX. Getting ready to replace timing belt at 7 years even though mileage is a low 55k. After just replacing my 9 year old low mileage Toyota belt, I swore I would never replace another Mitsuboshi belt based on age. However, this engine is interference and I am looking for a fun project anyway.

Service Manual says to use new bolts on TB idler pulleys. I am anal about my cars but this recommendation seems way over the top, even for me. Is there any reason to use new bolts? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
However, this engine is interference...
Service Manual says to use new bolts on TB idler pulleys.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Your engine is an interference engine, which means that major damage will be done if the timing belt or any of the systems fail. The service manual requires new bolts on the pulleys, since the original bolts may stretch and may not be possible to correctly torque on a second use. Should one loosen or fail, the results would be catastrophic for the engine. That sound about right?

Is there any reason to use new bolts? Think about it-hard.

Well said fellas. I say replace the bolt if the service manual says so.

Now if you were doing the TB replacement per the book and here we are, a bunch of self certified mechanics telling you to replace a perfectly good bolt (so it seems) for no good reason, I can see you questioning our suggestion but this is Honda telling you to replace it as part of the service. I say you take their advice. It would be sad to lose an engine over it.

I would presume if you buy Aisin kit, the bolt will come with the pulley. Hopefully, Jason (Hokeyfield) will chime in to confirm that.

I dont have anything to add on the bolts but just wanted to mention that your view on the belt is probably accurate. My local mechanic replaced the belt on our 2006 Pilot and after 10 years/80k miles it looked fine.

Ha! I can top that. My inlaws did their 2001 Odyssey for the first time in 2016 after 160k miles of use and it looked... ok. Could have went 200k probably or could have snapped 60k ago. Who knows. I always lean towards getting it done at the proper interval, just to be safe.

A guy over on the Pilot forum had the dealer do the TB on the same V6 engine. Dealer didn't use new bolts and the belt ended up falling off. Guy did some research and showed the tech the FSM with instructions on using new bolts and tech was dumbfounded.

So yeah, use new bolts. Snapped belt on an interference engine is no bueno.

A guy on the Accord forum had three Accords in his household with north of 200k miles. All on the original timing belt. These were 6th gen Accords, 1998-2002 yrs with the 4cyl and 6 cyl engines and located in the northeast.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
A guy on the Accord forum had three Accords in his household with north of 200k miles. All on the original timing belt. These were 6th gen Accords, 1998-2002 yrs with the 4cyl and 6 cyl engines and located in the northeast.

My Accord's original TB & WP (unbeknownst to me at the time) came out looking excellent @190K miles. Car's spent its life in both warm & cold climates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I would presume if you buy Aisin kit, the bolt will come with the pulley. Hopefully, Jason (Hokeyfield) will chime in to confirm that.

No, the Aisin kit does not include new bolts, at least they are not listed on the Aisin website.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
A guy over on the Pilot forum had the dealer do the TB on the same V6 engine. Dealer didn't use new bolts and the belt ended up falling off. Guy did some research and showed the tech the FSM with instructions on using new bolts and tech was dumbfounded.

All right already, lol!! I will get new bolts for idler and tensioner pulleys. FSM also calls for new bolts on engine side mount brackets (upper and lower) which have to be removed to replace TB. I will get those too.

Last edited:

Who paid for the engine damage?

Dealership mechanics are dumb and are just parts changers.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I have read many DIY instructions and watched several videos. No one has ever mentioned new bolts. I bet 99% of all TB jobs done by indies and dealerships on these cars reuse bolts without any problems.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Dealership stepped up for a change.

Here's the thread.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

A 4cyl Accord with a timing belt? Must be some kind of unicorn 🦄

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
A 4cyl Accord with a timing belt? Must be some kind of unicorn

My Accord with a 4-cylinder F22B2 engine has a timing belt and it's definitely no unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back