How are AAA car batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's wife got stranded with a dead battery while he was out of town. They have AAA and for convenience-sake had them change the battery right there.

Are AAA batteries good? Who makes them?

Two main battery makers. East Penn/Deka and Johnson Controls. East Penn stuff, to me, has been better and seems to be better from what I've researched. Johnson Controls can be good, but there are many bad Johnson Controls batteries out there. Johnson makes most of the aftermarket brands, so that's what I'm guessing the AAA one is.

AAA batteries, at least the ones sold on the east coast, are East Penn. Very good warranty too, 36m free + 36m prorate

I typically believe most batteries are basically the same.

However, AAA batteries in my experience have been nothing but trash.

2002 Trailblazer had one die after less than 2 years, then the replacement after 18 months. Now have a $48 ValuePower battery from Walmart in it.

1996 Jeep Cherokee it died after 18 months or so. I still have it's replacement in it.

I disagree with that to an extent.. Exide are not very good no matter what... And some of JCs are not all that highly regarded either.

But I do agree with the concept of how a battery is used/taken care of matters quite a whole lot too.

I've had good service from Advance Auto's batteries. Most of the ones I have purchased - maybe 10 over they years - have lasted past their warranty period. I think they are likely Johnson Controls around here.

All batteries are bad these days but AAA may be lower than the expected.
The AAA on my car last 40 mo, end of story, new one from Coscto.

They are alright if you are in a pinch and have no other options.
Other than that, they are overpriced and not a great value, IME.

I be had 2 bad AAA batteries. Both lasted less than 2 years each & aren't even the right size for a common 24F in a Camry. The Costco Interstate that I replaced the AAA with has lasted longer already

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A battery is only as good as the owner taking care of it. I believe they are JCI around my part

A [censored] battery is still a [censored] battery. Checking the fluid level, keeping terminals clean and periodic charging with a smart charger will not make a poorly constructed battery last as long as a higher quality one. Location also makes a huge difference in battery life.

Originally Posted By: robshelton
I've had good service from Advance Auto's batteries. Most of the ones I have purchased - maybe 10 over they years - have lasted past their warranty period. I think they are likely Johnson Controls around here.

American Automobile Association (AAA), not Advance Auto Parts (AAP).

Had an AAA battery last for 6.5 years with zero maintenance except one water top up.

Other batteries in that same vehicle lasted 2.5 and 3.5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back