Dealer Processing Fees Hit New High Around Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Leckner Price excludes title, tax, tags, registration and freight ($1195 for RAM/$995 all other models) and $999 Dealer Processing fee. Leckner Dodge

New trucks, only $1!!!!

*does not include $49,999 processing fee.

I believe our neighbors to the North (MD) have imposed limits on processing fees. They all get their money - just a matter of how they label it.

Last edited:
Same around here the Ford steerlership in Nashua (Oddly named BEST FORD) was over 500 a few years ago when I bought the last Ranger. Wasn't aware until paper signing time.

The "wholesale to the public" Ford Dealer in Portsmouth has No fees and has an upfront, silly low price.

I think they are selling leftover 2016 ford Foci for under 13K new.

Juts don't trade anything in!

Bottom line is - what's the bottom line out the door.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
When you negotiate on the final, out the door price, it's irrelevant.

Exactly, let them figure out how to eat it, bury, it or hide it. The best out the door price, all inclusive wins.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly, let them figure out how to eat it, bury, it or hide it. The best out the door price, all inclusive wins.

These x100

Right, it's only a scam if they pull it on your as you're about to sign. You always need to ask what's the out the door price and ask about the fee up front. Then it doesn't matter. If they discount the price more than someone else who has a lower doc fee, then they can actually be a better deal. Always do the math.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's the method I used when purchasing the used Focus in my sig.

Sure it may have angered the salesperson/dealer but I didn't care. There's many other dealerships who would be happy to take my money. Considering it was a pre-owned vehicle which the dealer probably gave the PO's next to nothing for trade-in value.

Let them put it in then go to sign look astonished and declare your not paying it and they keep the car then start walking, they chase you down and you tell them your leaving if they don't drop it. Watch how fast the dump it. Whatever you do once you walked out don't go back in until they agree, the basta.. will give you to the TO or FI man.
I always loved a good fiasco at the dealer especially when they don't have my money yet. Today I know so many guys in the business I just call and get a deal, no shenanigans.

It's getting to the point where the vehicle is being sold at dealer cost and they make money on fees and add-ons like extended warranty.

Walking out of the dealer is a powerful tool. Especially if it's busy and you make some noise on the way out.

Everything in business is negotiable even the stuff they claim is non negotiable unless it is a local/state/federal tax

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Let them put it in then go to sign look astonished and declare your not paying it and they keep the car then start walking, they chase you down and you tell them your leaving if they don't drop it. Watch how fast the dump it. Whatever you do once you walked out don't go back in until they agree, the basta.. will give you to the TO or FI man.
I always loved a good fiasco at the dealer especially when they don't have my money yet. Today I know so many guys in the business I just call and get a deal, no shenanigans.

Exactly. Whenever I go to the dealer, I go into it thinking I will not be coming home with the vehicle because I will walk.
Only once have I actually left the dealership. I get up and say forget it and they usually change their mind. The one time I did it, they called me 2 days later wanting to make a deal, but I had already bought another vehicle.
Wife hates it when I do it, but she has seen how getting up at the signing table after spending 2+ hours at a dealer can get the price dropped quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Leckner Price excludes title, tax, tags, registration and freight ($1195 for RAM/$995 all other models) and $999 Dealer Processing fee. Leckner Dodge

I'll bet that Mr. Ben Dover runs that joint.
That alone makes that statement that one may want to explore other vendors.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Trav

Exactly. Whenever I go to the dealer, I go into it thinking I will not be coming home with the vehicle because I will walk.
Only once have I actually left the dealership. I get up and say forget it and they usually change their mind. The one time I did it, they called me 2 days later wanting to make a deal, but I had already bought another vehicle.
Wife hates it when I do it, but she has seen how getting up at the signing table after spending 2+ hours at a dealer can get the price dropped quite a bit.

They know that 90% of the time when you walk out, you won't come back. End of the month is also a good time. Had some dealers call me near the end of the month on a car I had looked at earlier. They wouldn't deal earlier, but at that point it was too late.

No way would I pay processing fees that are that high. I think the norm around here is about $99 and the place I bought my Mustang at does not have them at all.

I also don't spend hours at the negotiating table on price. I always do my research on the vehicle that I want to buy prior to setting foot inside the dealer. I usually go to the dealer on Sundays when no one is there and look at what they have. I then find what I'm interested in and either take a picture of the window sticker on my phone or pull it up on the dealer's webpage.

I then find out what rebates or discounts if any, whether its dealer or manufacturer that are in affect for the vehicle I'm buying and then go to the various sites online like KBB, NADA, Edmunds, etc. and figure out what invoice price is on the vehicle I'm looking at. I usually don't try to get into their holdback money but I don't usually offer much over invoice depending on the vehicle. For example, I paid $173 over invoice minus the dealer discount I negotiated and the manufacturer rebate on my 14 Mustang GT.

When I decide how much over invoice I want to pay minus any rebates or discounts, I then go in to negotiate. Using this method I rarely ever spend over 30 minutes negotiating on price. If they don't agree to my price, I walk. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and never spend much time at the dealer unless I have to wait to deal with the financing department.

Wayne

There are other [censored] fees and charges. How about a hundred bucks or more for pinstripes, or over priced alloy wheels and many other must have junk?

And there's the minimally equipped lower priced model from the factory that they never order and tell you that the roof rack and sun roof just come on every model of that vehicle.

Ford came out with the new Thunderbird and sold them with an "addendum" sticker marking up the car several thousand dollars. In this case the practice came back to bite them because in a very short time they could give the Thunderbird away. It was a dud.

I don't know how or where this practice of buying new cars started but as Bugs Bunny would say, "Of course you realize, this means war!!!".

Exactly!!!

Is using a car buying service such as at Costco better than going to a dealer for a new car? I've read that Costco sells a lot of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back