Prepare for Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This is neat, next step is to send a signal to the brain, activating you leg's muscle memory so that it steps on the brake pedal.

Actually there's no need for that, they already have collision prevention assist which stops the car if you're about to hit something. That pre-impact noise is if you're going to get rear ended. What it should really do is move the car forward a little bit so that the car doesn't hit you if there's room in front. I kinda do that now, if there's a sudden slow down on the highway, I hit the brakes and keep an eye behind me and roll up a little if it appears that the guy behind me isn't slowing down fast enough.

^^What you just said AND I leave space AND I watch to see if the jerk behind me is playing video games or texting.

Too bad the M-B story didn't include the actual sound. Kira

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If they are having trouble keeping their cars running this will distract people and show them something that M-B can do.

Not sure what you mean by this. They do have the eco feature which shuts the car off when you're in traffic, but that's pretty common these days on lots of cars. As for mechanical problems, the 2017 is a new class for 2017 so most cars are under warranty at this stage.

What's actually more interesting is the car to X communications which is in the 2017 E class. Unfortunately the only other cars it can talk to is other 2017 E class cars.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/street-...ticle-1.2856584

I was referring to published information that M-B is having some problem with reliability. They evidently are not the shining star they were a decade or more ago.

Oh yeah, that varies from year to year. They were pretty bad maybe a decade ago, but they've been getting better lately. Certain lines like the C class or SUV's had more problems than others. I think they're still the best out of the 3 German car companies, but some US and Japanese companies are better. Still, they tend to have more gadgets than their US counterparts.

The CX-9 was just awarded 7 passenger SUV of the year in Australia and that was head to head with the very much more expensive German SUV's. Mercedes is evidently having a tough time in Australia with reliability and customer service.

In the US most car magazines are just advertising instruments for the auto industry, see no bad, say no bad, keep getting invited to those fancy new model introductions in exotic location.

Consumer Reports is one of the very few here in the states that calls the shots without fear of losing those invitations.

Hear what John has to say.

{censored]

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, didn't listen to the whole thing. Mercedes motor mounts are known to go bad. Unlike other cars, they use a liquid filled mount which I guess just isn't as durable a big hunk of rubber like other makes, but makes for a smoother running engine when it works. I guess they didn't get an extended warranty, MB sells them in the US, you can go 7 years, 100k. I guess if he had one, he'd just be driving a loaner til they go the part in. Yep, S class can be a little scary, you have to be able to afford the car and the price of repairs.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Interesting, didn't listen to the whole thing. Mercedes motor mounts are known to go bad. Unlike other cars, they use a liquid filled mount which I guess just isn't as durable a big hunk of rubber like other makes, but makes for a smoother running engine when it works. I guess they didn't get an extended warranty, MB sells them in the US, you can go 7 years, 100k. I guess if he had one, he'd just be driving a loaner til they go the part in. Yep, S class can be a little scary, you have to be able to afford the car and the price of repairs.

Liquid filled mounts are very common today - even on mid range models. Nothing new there but they do fail often and leak the fluid out. I've changed them before....even as far back as a 2006 Impala which had them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back