2016 GTI, Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40, 6,250 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleased with the analysis. I assume copper will continue to wash out; not sure of source. Viscosity seems to be dropping off, which is perhaps a concern. The car is neither babied nor abused and is always allowed to warm up before significant boost.

GTI%20UOA_zpsgbsxztzq.jpg

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Thanks for posting.

Viscosity seems low to me.

Scott

Yep, that's where my eyes were immediately drawn. I'm going to try 8,000 on this next OCI and see if it drops out of grade. VW's spec'd interval for the GTI is 10K.

TBN seems to have held on nicely here, iron is below universal averages. Definitely low on viscosity, will likely drop out of grade with extended use based on the analysis here, the decent flash point suggests perhaps shearing and not fuel dilution. Still a nice report. I think the TBN can support a 10k run but I doubt the viscosity will remain in grade.

Originally Posted By: GeeTeeEyeGuy
I assume copper will continue to wash out; not sure of source.
Source is rod/crank bearings. That should be down to 5 ppm or so next oil change.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Thanks for posting.
Viscosity seems low to me.

Yep, that's where my eyes were immediately drawn. I'm going to try 8,000 on this next OCI and see if it drops out of grade. VW's spec'd interval for the GTI is 10K.

welcome2.gif

Yep, it thins.
However 10K spec'ed OCI would be fine with this oil.
I'd speculate OCI could be higher at say, 12K and the oil would stay in grade.
The nice metal wear rates would improve further with use, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
That went into ILSAC GF-5 category viscosity.
Motul holds TBN good, but they tend to get thin.

Any other recommendations? I bought a case (four 5L jugs) of the X-Cess with what was left on my TDI Goodwill card, so I will be using it for this fill plus two more, and then I'm open to a switch. The Liqui Moly Leichtlauf seems like another popular VW 502 00 spec choice during the powertrain warranty period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Castrol 0W-40 would be my choice.

Not a fan of LM oils.

I'm not a fan of Castrol oils, after my 2012 Passat TDI had some crazy wear going on with it. Aluminum through the roof, and iron and chromium both elevated.

Not a fan of LM oils.

I'm not a fan of Castrol oils, after my 2012 Passat TDI had some crazy wear going on with it. Aluminum through the roof, and iron and chromium both elevated.

You don't have a TDI anymore.
wink.gif

Which Castrol were you using?

Not a fan of LM oils.

You don't have a TDI anymore.
wink.gif

Which Castrol were you using?

Here ya go. Steady diet of Castrol. It was going in the opposite direction of what I wanted. I think you can why I'm leery of Castrol products:
passat_zpsrl6ngqwg.jpg

Here ya go. Steady diet of Castrol. It was going in the opposite direction of what I wanted. I think you can why I'm leery of Castrol products:

How do you know it was anything to do with the particular oil rather than some engine defect or condition?

Did you switch to a different oil and see improved results?

No, but others have. I was looking at other UOAs here and on TDI Club.

Get Castrol 0W40 or if you do not like Castrol, get Mobil1 0W40 FS.
As for your TDI numbers, those engines are notorious when it comes to iron wear.
I used Castrol 0W30/40 for years, and works like a charm in VW engines (1.8T 20V, 2.0TSI's). Much better TBN retention then M1 (although old M1 VISOM version had ridiculous shear stability).
Pennzoil 5W40 is another good choice. Just stay away from POS Castrol 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back