5w40 oil brand for 6.7 power stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 14 f250 6.7 I'm convinced in running 5w40 only and am looking for good syn oil to put in it I'm also convinced in Not Running Rottela. I'm looking at
1 valvoline premium blue
2 m1
3 Schaefers
4 royal purple
5 amsoil
Leaning hard on 3 and 1 from other psd reviews but still looking recommendations amsoil being the most expensive pushes them to end of list
Oci will probably be around 7500 filter will more likely be wix or maybe motorcraft

Originally Posted By: Tech819
I'm convinced that you should just pick one of the 5 you have listed. It seems you already made up your mind.

Thanks for the useless reply

Congratulations tratman. I have run Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 and am currently running Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40. Have a UOA coming up with Delvac 5w-40. Check the UOA section and do some research on wear numbers, etc...wealth of knowledge here.

Best,

Have you checked out Ford's recent approved list under new spec for 5w40?

Thought here is any of your No. 1, Mobil TDT, or Mystik for 5w40s that seem to meet what FoRd is currently recommending for 5w40s.

I don't dislike rottella but have seen a few reports about it causing injector failures due to foaming in the crankcase and no other brands were reported so I'd rather just avoid it because of that alone.

you saw that on a 6.7 i really don't think it's the oil. anyhow. any oil that meets the spec is a great option. i use Valvoline and walmart, tractor supply Travellers, all have been a GREAT oil.

Of the oil you chose, it would be Valvoline for me.. i have about 40 gallons of it in the shed.

I am running Rotella T6 in my Powerstroke. And also ran it in my 1999 Cummins diesel.

There is an awful lot of Rotella T6 being sold at the local Love truck stop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Killer223
you saw that on a 6.7 i really don't think it's the oil. anyhow. any oil that meets the spec is a great option. I use Valvoline and walmart, tractor supply Travellers, all have been a GREAT oil.

Same here. Cenex/Land-o-Lakes oil as well.

Well, from your list, I cast another vote for Valvoline. Cost is reasonable, readily available in several places, and American owned, so that's a plus for most folks.
At one point I think your statement about Rotella was true, but those days are long gone, and the current offering is very good.
Delo has both moly and boron in the add pack, and those two components are in both Rev-X and Hot Shots used to keep the injectors happy.
Personally, I'm not crazy about M1,(I'd run 15w40 Delvac before it). AmSoil, and RP are made out to be way better than they really are. That's my opinion though, YMMV, and everyone has a story that can support or deny any oil.
Pick one, see what it does, UOA, and judge from there.

Last edited:
By ruling out Rotella you're leaving a lot on the table and giving yourself a lighter wallet. Shell/Rotella has been doing the HDEO thing longer than just about anyone and just because one guys uncles sisters boyfriend says it foamed in the crank case should not be reason to condemn it.

I have an 05 with the dreaded 6.oh and its had a steady diet of Rotella conventional 15W40 its entire life with service records to prove it. Still on the original HPOP, injectors and never had a valve cover off. I live in the Panhandle of WV so cold starts and extreme temps are the norm, truck doesn't get ran easy either. Take it for what its worth...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Something rotten with the "Rottela"? Might want to check this list (if you're still under warranty) https://jobbersworldblog.com/tag/ck-4/
There are not many CK-4 oils approved by Ford, might want to look a little more, and ROTELLA T6 5W40 is on the approved list.

So far everything I've seen says rottella ck4 is still not approved but they are working on it and it gets complicated because shell put out ck4 oil in jugs labeled cj4 to not have a lapse in production and that's bad business practice ontop of the stories of it foaming I'm writing them off no matter how bad everyone else loves it. sorry.
Valvoline is approved ck4 and Schaeffers and amsoil both will be continuing cj4 so as of right now I'll just stick with the Schaeffers like I was planning to do until they get this whole CK4 sorted out

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Something rotten with the "Rottela"? Might want to check this list (if you're still under warranty) https://jobbersworldblog.com/tag/ck-4/
There are not many CK-4 oils approved by Ford, might want to look a little more, and ROTELLA T6 5W40 is on the approved list.

So far everything I've seen says rottella ck4 is still not approved but they are working on it and it gets complicated because shell put out ck4 oil in jugs labeled cj4 to not have a lapse in production and that's bad business practice ontop of the stories of it foaming I'm writing them off no matter how bad everyone else loves it. sorry.
Valvoline is approved ck4 and Schaeffers and amsoil both will be continuing cj4 so as of right now I'll just stick with the Schaeffers like I was planning to do until they get this whole CK4 sorted out

You are correct, the Rotella 5w-40 isn't currently approved by Ford.

http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf?euid=[[eui0]

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I live in the Panhandle of WV so cold starts and extreme temps are the norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back