why no love for LUCAS oil additives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for starters, there are no additives in it according to the VOAs, so you're diluting the original oil's add pack pretty drastically considering you need a whole quart of the stuff. Second off: it's insanely thick, something like 10x thicker than a 30 weight oil without the VI adds to make it tolerable for cold starts.

A lot of parts places and quick lube shops have the little gears you can crank; one with Lucas additive and one with just oil. The goal is to show how well the Lucas sticks to the gears while turning, but you'll also notice that the Lucas gear takes more effort to turn. Now imagine that inside of an internal combustion engine and how much more force it takes.

Now maybe if you have a beater that is consuming or leaking oil so fast you can't top it off, it's worth it. Otherwise, nopenopenopeeee!

Last edited:
From what I know they are still a hit in the diesel community. Their fuel additive doesn't do much for me and besides their Power steering and ATF additive (both have yielded marginal improvement) I think most of their stuff is garbage.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: lucerne06

A better question would be, "why would be foolish enough to use LUCAS oil additives?"

Or any Lucas product for that matter, do they still market oil?

Have to say Lucas Slick Mist is a great spray wax/detailer
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: lucerne06

A better question would be, "why would be foolish enough to use LUCAS oil additives?"

Or any Lucas product for that matter, do they still market oil?

Have to say Lucas Slick Mist is a great spray wax/detailer
thumbsup2.gif

I like it too.

Eeek. I just split up a quart amongst my Nissan 300ZX, Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L, and a Jeep Compass.

I knew the stuff was too thick for the Compass' 2.0L with 94k+ miles, but there was a complaint of slight ticking, so I wanted to see what a 1/3 qt plus Valvoline Maxlife 5w20 would do. If the motor runs better, I'll be swapping that out for a full HM syn.

A few Jeep guys must be akin to the diesel truck drivers mentioned earlier. Big fans of Lucas products. I've only used it in moderation. Didn't know about it deteriorating modern day oils. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back