Blackstone UOA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

What is the issue with Blackstone's fuel dilution calculations? Seen some folks take issue with it.

The short answer is that it is an extrapolation and not an actual measurement. When combined with cost, it is difficult not to look at other labs. Additionally, unless something has changed recently, Blackstone cannot accurately measure soot in the oil either.

Polaris Labs, Oil Analyzers Inc. (OAI), Napa and Wix kits are sent out to reputable labs too, depending on where you're located. You can order a kit from your Napa store directly. Comes with TBN. If you don't have a Napa store nearby, the Wix kit can be purchased from Amazon. Most CAT dealerships have UOA equipment on site so that's an option too if they are nearby.

To be fair, Blackstone has the edge with great customer service and feedback on your engine. Universal averages for your engine are exclusive to Blackstone as well and some may see this data as valuable if not relevant. From consistent reports, you can establish a baseline and they can tell you if you should extend the OCI or not, which you'd have to gauge on your own if you went to another lab. Pros of the other labs I mentioned include cheaper price with TBN included, but thats about it. I don't like Polaris Labs feedback from what I've seen on BITOG to be honest.

I have used Polaris and highly recommend them. But NAPA is $16 with TBN which beats almost anyone out there. NAPA does not give oxidation and nitration which are a measure of how well the basestock is holding up. Polaris does provide that.

I use Polaris (Horizon) via Amsoil for my UOAs. $19.95 which includes TBN or TAN (depending on the oil type). They also have a mobile app which makes it nice to view your UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back