When best to add fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
When would be best to add a fuel system cleaner like Gumout's All-in-one? Before a long trip where you'll burn through the whole tank or on a regular fill up for short trippin' and commuting?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
after I use Techron or Gumout, my tailpipe is black

Interesting. I'm going to try looking for that time.

short tripping just because it has a chance to sit on the pistons and/or valves versus a highway ride which will just burn everything right through to empty

The new gum out all in one is some pretty good stuff. Techron is old faithful. Redline also makes a good cleaner with high PEA %

This !
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
short tripping just because it has a chance to sit on the pistons and/or valves versus a highway ride which will just burn everything right through to empty

The new gum out all in one is some pretty good stuff. Techron is old faithful. Redline also makes a good cleaner with high PEA %

My approach has always been before a long trip, to put the increased detergents in an environment with more efficient combustion and more+consistent heat, but Seafoam does seem to make a marked difference after sitting overnight - so some of both?

Additives work better when hot rather than cold, and, you'll cover more miles to a tank on the motorway as compared to stop and go traffic so it makes sense to use them before a long journey.
However, any time is better than never so just pour it in and don't worry
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I think short trippin' not long highway trips

One thing for sure... after I use Techron or Gumout, my tailpipe is black

Is that good or bad? I use Gunout Regaine but haven't noticed the tail pipe being black.

I recall seeing a paper (from Chevron, if I remember correctly)some time ago, saying that Techron works best in a short trip environment since the soak time between trips allows the Techron to clean more completely. But I can't find the paper now.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Before a long trip where you'll burn through the whole tank or on a regular fill up for short trippin' and commuting?

If your long trip includes an overnight stop, then it's fine. If not, then wait for the short trips. Here's how they actually test it:
eRwPNVO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back