Champion or Tempest

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys use? I've used mostly Champion but have tried a few Tempest filters. I'm going to buy a set of sparkplugs and was debating if trying Tempest plugs.

Not sure on the pricing but I'm a fan of Champion plugs, all the fine wire Champions I've seen have excellent lifespan but are costly. I don't have much experience with Tempest stuff other than some of the magneto parts which I didn't find to be as good of quality as the genuine TCM/Bendix parts.

I buy Tempest everything now, filters & plugs. I've been happy with the 'massives' but I may try fine wires at some point.

I sold my Warrior in December, now I have a Rockwell Commander 112. I bought it with a played out IO-360 engine. It will be back in the air in a month or so with an IO-390 and a composite, 3-blade prop.

I've always admired the styling of that aircraft. Beautiful. Great example of "if it looks right, it is right". I had been hopeful that the owners' group in Missouri would be able to continue manufacturing both aircraft and parts. Any news on that front?

Yes, the owners group at Commander.org is VERY helpful. There are some parts or damage(bird strike) that could be a pain to get through, but most can be handled easily. There are some salvage yards, also some parts cross reference to more common makes, Piper, whatever.

There is a shop in Vermont that specializes in the Rockwell Commander aircraft, Aerodyme. They work only on the Commander and can coordinate with a shop elsewhere with the work. They specialize with a bunch of 'parts kits' and STCs for the aircraft.

Yes, the stock 112 is a big doggy, with the weight, size, & planform being pulled through the air. The IO-390 effectively adds 35 HP, that should suit me fine. At a reasonable power others reported a steady cruise at 140 KIAS. I'm at two or less onboard 90+% of the time. I also gain 42 lbs load with the rear seats out, easy to go.

There are no plans to make new Commanders anytime soon. A Chinese entity has bought up the plans and tooling from the former factory. The whole lot was auctioned off 5 or so years ago.

Well she may be a little slow but she's gorgeous and attracts all the right kind of pilots. The Homecoming Queen of general aviation.
grin.gif

I've had acceptable results with champion. The newer champion plugs are improved and seem to be trouble free. There was quite a bit of chatter about champion plugs failing. However, we simply don't see the issues others do. We've been able to run them until worn out without issue.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've had acceptable results with champion. The newer champion plugs are improved and seem to be trouble free. There was quite a bit of chatter about champion plugs failing. However, we simply don't see the issues others do. We've been able to run them until worn out without issue.

Same here. We only use Champion filters and plugs on recip applications. Most of them are made right here in SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back