.VRO File Converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one they recommend?

As a experiment, I recorded a TV program onto a DVD-RAM disc using a Panasonic DVD recorder. W7 displays a folder titled "DVD_RTAV". With contents:
VR_Mangr.bup
VR_Mangr.IFO
VR_Movie.VRO

The last file is roughly 4.2GB. WMP and Movie Maker won't open it. Copying it to the W7 machine will take about 35min.

I'd like to experiment with WMM as W7 includes it for free. However, the .VRO file will first have to be converted to something WMM will accept first.

Anyone have experience with video editing here? TIA....

You won't need to convert the actual content, I believe. VRO is a container, like Quicktime .MOV or .AVI or the open source .MKV. The files contained within that container will already be encoded. My wager is that the recorder used MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

If you convert the actual video, you're going to be moving from one lossy format (with its compression artifacts and compromises) to another, which often exacerbates the artifacts of both the source and target format. It'd be way better for you to leave the actual codec(s) in place for audio and video and simply change the container those two files are muxed within.

I am sure VLC will play the file, by the way; and I'll bet you can just save the file as a different format. I am not sure Handbrake will be able to open the file; but if it can it would be easy enough to confirm that both the audio and video codec settings as are set to "pass through".

In Linux it is easy enough to trivially change the container with some command line stuff and FFMPEG:

Code:
ffmpeg -i YOUR_INPUT_FILE.VRO -vcodec copy -acodec copy YOUR_OUTPUT_FILE.mp4

This would leave you with a .mp4, which I presume Windows Movie Maker can handle. Maybe try .avi if that works better: My guess is that Movie Maker will have a definite preference. It might be worth Googling for a simple application that serves that purpose - Maybe a Windows GUI for FFMPEG?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I am sure VLC will play the file, by the way

OP/Sleddriver, he is referring to the program called VLC Player. it is free and good.
another good one to try is media player classic.

In addition to what uc50ic4more mentioned, another option, within Linux, is the WinFF frontend to ffmpeg or the tovid suite, depending upon what various things you like to accomplish and how comfortable you are with the command line. WinFF tends to have presets to adjust the output to whatever you happen to like, including file format and resolution.

thanks to all for the assistance!

I'm going to first experiment with a MUCH smaller file size. I am familiar with VLC.

If you are on windows mcebuddy is a program I find usefull. Should do vro no problems and its free, it is basically a front end to the opensource converters.

http://www.mcebuddy2x.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I'm going to first experiment with a MUCH smaller file size.

Yes, that will undoubtedly save you a lot of headaches, not to mention eons of time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
thanks to all for the assistance!

I'm going to first experiment with a MUCH smaller file size. I am familiar with VLC.

The more you squish, though, the more you:

1) ... Move from an "editing" format to a "delivery" format; the latter's compression scheme being so *inter*-frame dependent that cutting frames can get sloppy.

2) ... Introduce visible artifacts that only get worse when editing, applying effects and re-compressing to final format.

3) ... Make it much more CPU/ GPU-intensive to de-compress, which could make it harder to edit; especially if you're asking Movie Make to do any kind of effects, which even include scaling or mild colour correction.

Squishing (and please, use the h265 codec if file size *is* and issue and CPU/ GPU horsepower *isn't* - It is as close to voodoo magic as I've ever seen) for final delivery is one thing and we make those choices based on our circumstances; but for editing it is usually best to have the least amount of compression possible. I really suggest that you simply change the container format for the files and *allow the audio and video codecs to remain unchanged for now* for editing. Squish when your edits are done and you want to render out your master video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back