Haven't checked my oil in months

Status
Not open for further replies.
After you establish a lubrication strategy do you still regularly check the oil?

I haven't checked mine in months. After many hours of reading BITOG and thinking about motor oil I feel like I can relax and drive.

My 1 year OCI doesn't run down the OLM anywhere close to zero, and my oil level sensor tells me when to add more oil.

I never check my oil, just change it once a year or whenever I'm bored or before a long storage period.

With a 9 quart sump, I'm not worried about it.

I checked my Jeep in November. And before that, was in March. Actually I didn't even check it when I changed it, just poured in an even 6 quarts. Doesn't burn or leak a drop.

Camry burns some so I check it once a month or so, including this morning.

My Cruze has never even changed the level on the dipstick between changes, but I check it every few weeks (every 1,000-1,500 miles?) anyway just to catch any problems early. I have way too many customers whose cars burn in excess of a quart every 2,500 mi. yet, even though I make them aware of that, check it once or not at all over a 5-8K OCI and it comes back in >2 quarts low, that I do it on my own stuff as a matter of principle if nothing else. Damage from low oil may not show up immediately but drastically less oil increases thermal load, sludge, etc., and that never helped an engine. If you're too good to get under the hood for 30 seconds every few weeks or a month then why do anything more than take it to the quick lane for the cheapest stuff they have?

I checked mine today. I like to check it now and then. What if you have an undected leak? What if its burning oil? You'll have no idea. I can't take for granted that my oil level will always remain full. It takes me a minute to check while I'm pumping gas.

I check it every weekend.

Leaks don't always leave puddles in the driveway. And if you're losing or burning oil then you're running the remaining oil harder than you otherwise would be.

Checking my oil is part of my weekend routine, like going to the mailbox on Saturday.

If the car doesn’t burn or leak any oil, then you need to check the oil only twice per OCI: Right after an oil change to verify that the oil level is full. And just before the next oil change to verify that the oil level is still full.

If you want to go the extra mile, then you can do one more check at the halfway of the OCI.

My Galant does not use a drop between changes but I check every 3-4000 miles anyway.
Now my old truck is a different story.
I have to add a qt every 1300 miles.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
After you establish a lubrication strategy do you still regularly check the oil?

I haven't checked mine in months. After many hours of reading BITOG and thinking about motor oil I feel like I can relax and drive.

My 1 year OCI doesn't run down the OLM anywhere close to zero, and my oil level sensor tells me when to add more oil.

Likewise in any of our fleet trucks. All have excellent OLM and oil level alert. We seldom go months without raising a hood as I am crazy about PM...

I check my oil when I need to get away from the family. Kind of like how I do the laundry for the family because my beer fridge is right near the washer and dryer. I consider both a win/win

I am missing something here. Assuming this is a legitimate question, the OP is BITOG reader, has lost sleep on oil mattters, possibly drives a Camry burner/sludger and actually has an "oil strategy." On the other hand, this same person finds greater peace of mind in never checking the oil.

This makes no sense whatsoever. No person here who has the ability to check the oil does not do so, and the idea of not checking the oil is perverse to right-thinking BITOG readers.

I check mine once every couple weeks. No reason not to check your oil. If nothing else it gives you time to take a look at other important fluids like brake fluid canister, coolant, etc. I also take the time to look over my belts.

I check my oil, even though my current fleet can successfully go a full OCI w/o adding any oil. I think of it as good maintenance. By not popping the hood I can't detect an early oil or coolant leak, or something else going wrong. What happens if all of a sudden the vehicle starts to use oil? I'd rather not await for a low oil light to come on and possibly cause damage to the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back