Mobil 1 EP 5W-30, 16,400 mi, 2008 4 Runner V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jarad248
3 rules apply here.

1. no oil is good in a crankcase for more than 12 months.

2. oil companies do not dictate oil change intervals.

3. no oil produced today can handle acid in your crankcase beyond 5-8K.

a TBN below 3 is not good. see page here Click here>>: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Read the last example...

The fastest production car in the world had a team of engineers determine Castrol Edge is the best oil in the world.

The proof is in the car. the koenigsegg. the engine and it's records speak volumes. it is what it is. it ain't marketing.

Why are we going for such long OCI anyhow ?

Wallyworld + do it yourself = $$Profit$$
wink.gif

What is wrong with pennzoil high mileage it has WAY more Boron and Moly than mobile 1 and is $15 @ 5 Qt. at WW ?

Even quaker state HM or ultimate would be better really.... Merry Xmas all
cool.gif

While most of what was said here is badly worded/phrases/expressed... there is ONE thing that I see worth elaborating on. To say a "TBN of less than 3 is automatically bad -or- more than 12mo is bad" is not appropriate, but the two do have one thing in common... these extended drain/interval UOAs also should have the TAN tested. Once the TAN gets above the TBN - it means the detergents aren't able to fully neutralize the acids and there becomes concern surrounding corrosion protection. This wouldn't necessarily show up on a UOA either. I think that's where he was going with those two statements (albeit very poorly). Not defending him, but I'm personally always curious to see the TAN along with the TBN on an engine after a drain interval like this. Mobil 1 oils tend to have a naturally higher TAN than other oils anyway... just worth noting. My personal preference is to change the oil as the TBN/TAN cross over each other. In my wife's V6 fusion running Pennzoil Ultra Plat - that's right around 7,500mi (UOA confirmed).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Could this "extended performance" oil make it to 25000 (like Amsoil SS claims to do)?

Based on the numbers I would say 20k is the max for this oil in my application.

If I were going to push it that long, or under fill and top off halfway through the OCI I would re think my filter choice.

Guy here with a Sequoia used to run 20k+ with M1 EP and a Donaldson P169071.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back