OTC Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a lot of looking around on Tool Topia and see the brand OTC a lot.. Are these tools any good? They seem to make (or rebrand) a little bit of everything.

$75 minimum for free shipping. I blew that when I had to buy my AC tools and the more I look, the more stuff I find that I should have added to the order.
27.gif

OTC Tools 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Service Set works great. It's not that expensive, but you can get it cheaper by paying a deposit at O'Reilly auto parts. The one I rented was brand new, and I just kept it for $32(rental fee) I think it was.

Good stuff. I have used hub tamers and grapplers, tons of compression and leakdown stuff from them. Owatonna Tool Company has been in the business a long time.

I have a bunch of their stuff, not a pro mechanic but so far, so good. Almost everything is made in Taiwan.

OTC is owned by Bosch now, for whatever that is worth.

I bought most of mine yrs ago when they were still Made in the USA. The ones Made in Taiwan are good also, the ball joint press adapters are made there and they are very durable.
This is the press, Made in USA.

The adapters are Taiwan.

And the box China.

Hazet left, OTC right. The OTC has done some hard work over the years and never had a problem ditto the Hazet. Would I buy them again? You bet.

Last edited:
Made in USA with globally sourced components. They were doing that 10 years ago?

Heck, everything there could be outsourced and simply assembled here.

Yep they have been doing that for years, the frame does have USA on it and that's the most important part. The additional adapters I bought all had Taiwan on the packaging.
No matter I cant change it but the tools work well and don't break so they are good enough.

Hey as long as it's been working for you.

I assume yours gets used rather than just "shade tree mechanic used" so it's good to see it's held up.

I may have to break down and buy one of those eventually. I've rented a ball joint press twice. One of which it was already damaged/ ruined before I could use it. Getting my refund back on that was difficult. (Had to go back just before closing when a young guy was working.) Always check the tool prior to walking out the door with it.

They hold up fine and they have done a lot of work. Like all tools of this type just keep the threads lubed with a moly paste like Molykote Gn for long life.

I have several of their GM service "essential tools" as well as their scan tools. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back