Magnatec noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been seeing a lot of talk about Magnatec in the UOA's and PCMO section. Is this the new "in" flavor? How does a 5w30 Magnatec hold up to, let's say PYB of the same viscosity? I do 5k oil changes in the 5.4 3v and intend to keep it that way. So the question is, is it worth the little extra for Magnatec over PYB for 5k OCI's?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Is it worth the little extra for Magnatec over PYB for 5k OCI's?
Only you can answer if it is worth it. Most all major blenders oil will allow the engine live a long long life.

For 5k OCIs I'd say no. PYB is enough, and likely even SuperTech dino would be fine. If you start stretching past the 5k, then you can spend more on oil.

Personally, I think the full syn Magnatec (in 5W20 in my case) is a little bit quieter than either VWB or MaxLife 5W20 in my 4.6 2V modular at start up-the Magnatec seems to stay on the chains better & is a little quieter while warming up. I haven't used PYB in it yet, but UOAs with particle counts would be the only way to know for sure what is better.

I don't think Magnatec is the new "in" flavor. It was one of the oils that AutoZone put on clearance for $2 per qt. and they seemed to have a LOT of it in stock (at least in my area), so, it's being mentioned here more than usual due to many people purchasing it for the first time over the last couple of months.

The 5W30 Mag seems to hold up quite well in UOA's esp in difficult motors like Ford eccoboost V6 turbos. Even some guys that really work there trucks towing seem to like the way the oil holds up.

Magnatec has made a noticeable difference in start up racket in our KIA. Yes slight, but enough I can hear the difference. And it has posted a bunch of stellar UOA's here too. I like it a lot, on the 4th consecutive OCI now in fact.

I am probably going to switch to 10k runs in that vehicle so Magnatec will be off the list, but I may switch the Ford to Magnatec instead. For 5k OCI's, you have plenty of safety margin with Magnatec IMO, you'll be dumping good oil. I'd not be concerned about running PYB that long either, but I do believe Magnatec is a superior oil to PYB. And I am a long time PYB fan.

I vote for Magnatec in your Jeep sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I vote for Magnatec in your Jeep sir
smile.gif

Nope! While I am a firm believer that the old Jeep flat tappet 4.0 does not need especially high ZDDP once broken in, I won't use one that is low in ZDDP either. Castrol has been moving even further away from ZDDP for other additives and most of their modern line up is quite light in that regard. Mobil's AFE oils are much the same way.

The Castrol 0w40 I am running now is a notable exception.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
So I've been seeing a lot of talk about Magnatec in the UOA's and PCMO section. Is this the new "in" flavor? How does a 5w30 Magnatec hold up to, let's say PYB of the same viscosity? I do 5k oil changes in the 5.4 3v and intend to keep it that way. So the question is, is it worth the little extra for Magnatec over PYB for 5k OCI's?

I just dumped a fill of Magnatec 5w20 from my 2009 5.4 3V due to greatly increased consumption over PYB 5w20. I personally think it idles quieter on PYB and doesn't sound like an un-lubed singer sewing machine at full song.

My 2009 FX4 has 125,000 miles and the engine is spotless inside from the previous owner using Mobil 1 for 90,000 miles. While I plan on keeping the truck another 100,000 miles I know it will be suffering from cancer by then so I don't worry about a little bit of engine varnish the PYB might cause over the next 100,000.

Originally Posted By: car51
KCJEEP: I'd stick with EDGE 0w40 then or maybe try CASTROL HM 10w40
smile.gif

On "old tech" engines, I pretty much run whatever HDEO is the cheapest. I've used a LOT of Super-Tech 15W-40 "diesel" oil in my 6's and v8's over the last 25 years.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I wouldn't spend more money for magnatec...

Agreed - it's very popular here as cheap insurrance as good brand but reasonable priced product. Don't expect too much cleaning effect: keep short OCI and it will perform well.

Last edited:
This is good information! Right now I have a little "stash" of MileSyn blend 5w30 I need to go through, but since I've been seeing Magnatec come up so much, I didn't know if there was something special about it. If so, I'd be running it next OCI after this change with MileSyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back