Conventional greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between brand name conventional green coolants and house brands,something like Autozone brand vs Zerex? Or are they all basically the same?

This has been covered ad nauseum but if you buy "generic" you get "all makes, all models, extended life" which isn't what I would call "conventional"-- that would be "silicated" old-school.

So what are you trying to buy?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This has been covered ad nauseum but if you buy "generic" you get "all makes, all models, extended life" which isn't what I would call "conventional"-- that would be "silicated" old-school.

So what are you trying to buy?

Not true at all, unless the writing on the bottles is a lie. Oreilly, Napa etc ALL sell a 'conventional green' house brand.

From what I remember if you get old school conventional green it's supposed to all be the same and bottled one company.

I don't see any reason to use conventional green though as G05 does everything that conventional green does but better with extended life. I converted my Buick to G05 and the system is much cleaner.

I was looking this up a few months ago, and the reason why I went with Zerex was because they had more standards that their coolant met, than I noticed on the PDSs of other brands of green. See here: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_Original_Green_AFC_Technical_Bulletin.pdf I also saw that Zerex is a 5 year coolant, whereas most other green is not.

Whether other brands of coolant would have done just as well on those tests, I can't say, but I felt comfortable putting my money with Valvoline Zerex.

In an older article by Paul Weissler, he suggested that conventional green coolant "should" protect old copper-brass soldered radiators better.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/c...-or-orange-or/#

I think that all of today's conventional green coolants are low silicate now, so that should not be a concern. The Zerek data sheets show that G05 and their green coolant have approximately the same silicate content.

I agree with paulri's ideas and I use Zerex green in my workplace Kohler standby generator that has an old school Ford 4 cyl. engine with brass/copper radiator.

Reason I was asking,I'm doing a radiator drain/flush this weekend and last time I used Autozone conventional green (which my car specs via Z32 fsm). I was just curious is AZ is any different than an expensive name brand conventional green. As 901Memphis said,that's exactly what they told me at Autozone,that they all come from the same factory and simply bottled by different companies. I changed it last around three years ago so I figured it's about that time,especially since it still looks brand new,I want it keep it that way.

Just got back from Napa. I went with Zerex Original 50/50 (that was the only Zerex they had,and it was only a dollar cheaper then the Napa house brand). A friend of mine from the 300ZX forum said to do a radiator drain and refill,go with a conventional green 50/50 ratio. The radiator's capacity is one gallon,so I'm good to go.

I'm skipping the Water Wetter this time around.

Color is meaningless... I've seen "green" NAPA extended life coolant before. If we're not using G-05, then NAPA ELC does the trick for old beater MBs we work on.

No reason to use old school IAT ("green") other than top-offs.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Just got back from Napa. I went with Zerex Original 50/50 (that was the only Zerex they had,and it was only a dollar cheaper then the Napa house brand). A friend of mine from the 300ZX forum said to do a radiator drain and refill,go with a conventional green 50/50 ratio. The radiator's capacity is one gallon,so I'm good to go.

I'm skipping the Water Wetter this time around.

This is what I use in my 1990 Jaguar XJS V12.

If you are wanting conventional green most of the Auto stores do carry their on brand but it should say Conventional Green on the bottle. The problem I had for Zerex GO5 when I thought of making the switch was at the time I had flushed my radiator and the Zerex GO5 I was unable to locate in full concentration as everything was 50/50 . Better planning on my part as I could have ordered the full concentration but maybe on my next flush.

Zerex claims they use a more stable add pack - hence why they claim 100K service intervals. I'd use it anything that needs plain green.

But I wonder why you're not using a Asian pHOAT, even though Nissan's VG/KA engines happily run on green and have externally-accessible water pumps.

I gave up on green coolants a long, long time ago. All I use in my stuff from JD gator, my Cadillac and Silverado, on up thru my commercial trucks is heavy duty commercial grade red ELC coolants. Specifically the Final Charge red ELC no nitrite variety. 8 yr / 20,000 hr / 1 million mile service life. Though, my comfort level will not let me go that long. I typically do 5 yr or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back