Cook whole chicken with zero meat waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just how much are those roaster chickens anyway? My local BJs sells cooked rotisserie chickens for $5 for a 3 pound chicken.

A whole chicken in the crock pot is super easy. I do it all the time and I have pretty much zero culinary skill. I always use some liquid, usually chicken stock but water might be better if your dog will be eating it. Usually just put the whole chicken on the table for dinner, then pick apart the leftovers and use the rest of the meat for soup or something.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: CT8
The fat is good for the dogs.
Not if your dogs' pancreas doesn't function...which is my case.

Ed
huge problems!

The fat is good for the dogs.
Not if your dogs' pancreas doesn't function...which is my case.

Ed
huge problems!

It's not as bad as you might think.

E.P.I. ( http://epi4dogs.com/ & http://www.identifyepi.com/ ) is becoming more prevalent and very manageable once you learn to deal with its oddities. Dr. Marsha Clark and her team from Clemson University are studying my dogs' blood (and hundreds of more volunteers) to identify the genetic markers, etc., that are causing this sickness. Is it environmental?...is it genetic?...or both? We don't yet know. Of all the dogs that are sick with EPI, I would estimate 50% are German Shepherds (which my dog is).

Ed

I bought 2 whole chickens this weekend, removed the skin entirely and most fat i could get to. I then washed and patted dry the chicken, i covered the inside and outside with a thin layer of bbq sauce and added some bbq spice i had in the cupboard. I laid the 2 birds on a bed of one whole onion chopped in my roaster. No water or anything else. I covered the top of the roaster with wax paper, placed lid on to of that, then set the roaster to 300 and they were done in about an 1 and a half or so. Breast temp was 180 degrees and i thought i had over done it.

However, the chicken was incredibly moist and tender! I could not believe how good they were. I pulled all the chicken off the bones very easily and we made bbq chicken sandwiches to go along with a home made lettuce/slaw salad with home made dressing. We had a great family gathering and lunch with this as my in laws were up visiting us this weekend.

thanks for the tip on how to cook this chicken so nice and tender.

enjoy

P.S.

If i were going to cook this for my pet, i would just do the chicken with out skin and as much fat removed in the roaster or crock pot no onion or spices. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it is releasing some water to steam the chicken tender, if not add a little....

I'm preparing a special diet for my dog and I'd like to use a whole chicken.

My goal is to be able to cook the chicken in my crockpot (for convenience) and recover 100% (i.e., as much as I possibly can) of the meat and then strain the liquid and discard the bones.

I see a recipe ( https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/ ) that specifically says that the chicken doesn't need any additional liquids to cook via this method in a crockpot ("Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid"), but that seems a little hard for me to believe. Even in a crockpot, you'd still want to add some liquid, wouldn't you?

Has anyone tried cooking a whole chicken this way and if so, how did it turn out? Were you able to utilize most (all) of the meat off the bird?

smile.gif

Ed

Since this is for your dog, you don't need to cook the chicken at all. You can feed the entire chicken, including giblets, raw, including the bone to your dog.

google "raw diet for dogs", "Barf diet for dogs", etc.

yes, raw bones are safe for dogs. Cooked bones are dangerous.

i'm not in the school that would feed chicken bones to my dog, whether they are raw or cooked. beef bones i am ok with for a while, but once the dog is really splintering it i would remove. i have had one dog get into our trash and eat a chicken bone that got stuck in his mouth and that was painful to remove-i could tell.

here is some reading: http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_raw_bones_or_cooked_bones

i suppose there are those that will provide some info on the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back