Think I'd get laughed out of the shop with this bo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.

I'm looking at a newer tool box for professional use.

I'm very easy on my stuff and don't have an enormous amount spent in tools.

I was wondering about this box from canadian tire.

It's a retro look...good size...ball bearing drawers.

I'm also leaning towards a box with a table on the top. A lower style.

Thanks.

Ryan

Last edited:
You need to find one that works for your needs and your budget, and not worry about whether others might laugh. They're not paying for it or using it; you are. If this box is good quality and suits your needs, then go for it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
You need to find one that works for your needs and your budget, and not worry about whether others might laugh. They're not paying for it or using it; you are. If this box is good quality and suits your needs, then go for it!

Not sure what my opinion is worth as someone who doesn't work in a shop, but I fully support this post.
thumbsup2.gif

Naw the guys are going to christen you and bust balls anyway but in general they know all too well what its like to start out we all did it. I started out with a Craftsman top box and tools not even a bottom box, the guys knew I was just a kid and after a bit of ribbing put me on to a decent used smaller bottom box and helped me out a lot.
Don't worry about it, these are men who work for a living, learn everything you can from them they will be more than willing to help you and don't get tied up with the Snap-On or any other tool truck driver with credit.

Thanks a ton guys.

For the price I might go for it.

Agreed completely with everything.

It's big enough that it'll go the distance for me if it holds up...iit should be ok.

I'm in my 30s and am pretty good for an apprentice. I've been wrenching for years.
My last shop I brought an old banged up smaller box in
And I came in in the morning to fund fisher price tools on top of it. Lol.

They were great guys..we got along well and I didn't. Mind the ribbing.

Ryan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryan2022

My last shop I brought an old banged up smaller box in
And I came in in the morning to fund fisher price tools on top of it. Lol.

Ryan

lol.gif
I like those guys. The box is fine, it only stores the tools it doesn't do any work or make you any money like the stuff that's in it.

In my experience if you get along with everyone in the shop you will get some flak no matter what. I have a guy that has a small tool box and the rest of the techs build a "radio flyer" wagon to set it in and attached a string so he could pull it around. Another guy has a custom made box that is big and heavy enough to require a flat bed tow truck to move it when he switched shops. He gets razzed about trying to "compensate" for something. If it's something you like and are proud of, you will take good care of it and handle the typical shop humor with no issues.

The box doesn't make you money, the tools inside it do.
If it works for you, buy it.

The box doesn't make you money, the tools inside it do.
If it works for you, buy it.

You are going to wait for the 1/2 price sale though right? I've had pretty good luck with their "maximum" line, but I've never bought their tool chests. Usually the maximum stuff has a lifetime warranty but I haven't broke anything yet to try it.

Have a look at Costco stuff too. Similar prices and possibly better quality. But they don't always have tool chests in stock.

There is probably a local "Used Stuff For Sale" site. We've been selling quite good stuff at reasonable prices (1/4 - 1/3 of the new price for goods in excellent condition, and occasionally free). So I'd suggest checking that out too. Everyone gains and nothing goes to the landfill.

In Edmonton it was Kijiji. Locally it's Used Victoria. So it depends on the city.

Make sure it has a good locking system and ball bearing drawers. It should be big enough to accommodate an expanding collection. Anything else is just details.

Thanks a ton guys.

I'm in my 30s and am pretty good for an apprentice. I've been wrenching for years.

I'd rather have a mechanic with a small box who puts my hood down with reasonable care and returns my car with a quality work on which he actually checked tolerance specs versus a guy with a $9k box, burn marks on his face from a flaming shot some girl threw on him last night at the bar and a hangover who slams my hood and uses torque specs that measure out as "goodn'fkn'tight".

I am getting old enough at middle age that I would truly be willing to buy a trusted mechanic a $4k box so long as he does good work with attention to detail.

exactly right, a lot of guys i work with have these insanely priced tool boxes, sure they are nice but they cost more then a decent used car.

On a budget and liking to own things without debt I purchased an affordable Montezuma made but branded Masterforce tool box from Menards. I'm very impressed with the quality of the box for what i paid for it.

Its nice owning the box and everything in it with no payments.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw...44451670217.htm

Originally Posted By: Trav
Naw the guys are going to christen you and bust balls anyway but in general they know all too well what its like to start out we all did it. I started out with a Craftsman top box and tools not even a bottom box, the guys knew I was just a kid and after a bit of ribbing put me on to a decent used smaller bottom box and helped me out a lot.
Don't worry about it, these are men who work for a living, learn everything you can from them they will be more than willing to help you and don't get tied up with the Snap-On or any other tool truck driver with credit.

right everyone starts with what they can afford.

I had a small 26 inch craftsman top and bottom combo with the regular slides, no ball bearings...sounded terrible rolling it across concrete with its metal wheels...but it got me started and eventually i upgraded to 52 inch chest with ball bearing drawers etc, and i had the box for awhile and upgraded to a international box which i found out was a might have been a mistake, the build quality wasn't comparable to the craftsman one i had, but i learned that lesson so I'm now with my masterforce box which i really like....but i still have all my toolboxes :D, one at home, one at my parents garage and i gave my first small one to my younger brother which he has parked in his garage which is good for him because he has a small garage. Either way i consider no mistakes made with what i bought.

Thanks very much guys

I went back to look at this box and ended up with a slightly bigger husky box.

Powder coated with thicker metal...shocks, and drawer liners.

It was a really good deal. Too good to pass up.

Didn't break the bank and left me some room for a few odds and ends.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Thanks a ton guys.

I'd rather have a mechanic with a small box who puts my hood down with reasonable care and returns my car with a quality work on which he actually checked tolerance specs versus a guy with a $9k box, burn marks on his face from a flaming shot some girl threw on him last night at the bar and a hangover who slams my hood and uses torque specs that measure out as "goodn'fkn'tight".

I am getting old enough at middle age that I would truly be willing to buy a trusted mechanic a $4k box so long as he does good work with attention to detail.

Wow! That was unbelievably specific.Lol

OP from Calgary. I suggest you spend some time looking it over in person. Since you want the box to 'disappear' when you are using it, I suggest you see how the draws open and close, if they wiggle or flex, how they come off and on their stops. Check also, how thick the metal is in the frame and if it flexes. Check for sharp edges and burrs since you may quickly and thoughtlessly go after a tool and drag your hand or something, you dont want to get a bobo or draw blood from a burr or sharp edge especially since you are in a shop environment. Other stuff, if you will be rolling it....look over the casters...you dont want it to end up on its side if you hit a small rock or piece of gravel......just some stuff I can think of having owned my first box bought in person at the showroom six years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back