Flat tappet cam break in

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say to keep the rpms elevated for about thirty minutes. Do they mean as soon as you fire your rebuilt or crate engine for the first time that you need to sit there for half an hour with your foot on the pedal?

Or could you run it for five or ten minutes here and there until you reach 30 minutes total?

It is done the first time you fire up the engine, not in five or ten minute intervals.

Exactly. 2500-4500 immediately, for 30 minutes. Do NOT let it idle under any circumstances. If there is a problem, just shut it off.

If you do not, don't be surprised when that cam wipes a lobe or a few. Use conventional high-zinc oil.

You don't have to sit there with your foot on the pedal. Use a stick between the seat and gas pedal along with the seat adjustment to make it work.

20-30 min continuous right after its fired and has oil pressure, its better if you can prime the oiling system first. Use plenty of assy lube and use a proper break in oil like Gibbs. That means filling the coolant through the thermostat housing or leaving it out and bleeding the system before firing, you don't want to overheat the thing with an air pocket.

Year ago when I was building quite a few flat tappet engines with big cams and high rate springs I used lighter break in springs to break the cam in then swap them out after. You cant be too careful breaking them in you can scrap an engine in minutes by skimping the process.

Run a ZDDP additive in the oil after break in permanently unless you can find an oil loaded with zinc, you want around 1400-1800 PPM zinc, no other additives in the newer oils do an acceptable job of protecting the cam.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/flat-tappet-cam-tech/

Edit: 2000 -2500 is enough, no need to get it to 4K RPM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
20-30 min continuous right after its fired and has oil pressure, its better if you can prime the oiling system first. Use plenty of assy lube and use a proper break in oil like Gibbs. That means filling the coolant through the thermostat housing or leaving it out and bleeding the system before firing, you don't want to overheat the thing with an air pocket.

Year ago when I was building quite a few flat tappet engines with big cams and high rate springs I used lighter break in springs to break the cam in then swap them out after. You cant be too careful breaking them in you can scrap an engine in minutes by skimping the process.

Run a ZDDP additive in the oil after break in permanently unless you can find an oil loaded with zinc, you want around 1400-1800 PPM zinc, no other additives in the newer oils do an acceptable job of protecting the cam.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/flat-tappet-cam-tech/

Agreed. 4 grand is excessive.

If you run into trouble just shut it down and resolve the issue, then restart. I've seen a few that have been started and stopped several times before getting everything sorted out- and they came out fine.

What gets me is back in the day, 1983 or so, when I rebuilt two different chevy engines, one a small block 327 and the other a big block 396, I never did the cam break in like stated above and never had any problems in all the miles I put on both.

I wonder what has changed or if I was just luck. I also just ran, at least back then it was Quaker State Deluxe oil 10w-30. Again no issues but did change out the oil every 3k miles.

Why no roller? too much bucks? Hard to beat roller for fat torque. I do understand the expense.

Now is this stock cam with low seat pressure? (90 lb closed 260 open) 10 mins would be fine. Race cam you have to run in with low pressure valve springs - than install race springs and give it another 10 mins.

Just disco choke if you have one and run the carb on a high idle cam - If you have a carb!

Last edited:
Flat tappet cams in conventional push-rod motors are lubed by sling-oil off the crankshaft. The crank must be spinning fast enough to sling that oil in volume to the cam. That is about 2,200~2,400 RPM.

There are a number of factors at work here. But one is paramount. The lifters must be hard enough to live and they must be ground right so that they spin on the lobe. The number one failure is due to lifters "skidding" and not spinning.

The old expression of a "flat cam" was not about a lobe being worn down so it would not open the valve, it was about the cam lobe taper being gone. So the cam presented a flat surface - no lifter spin.

The absolute number one thing to do is to make sure that all the push-rods are spinning. If you can't stand oil droplets in your motor bay, get clips or a cut-away valve cover. Or put old towels or blankets on the fenders/liners.

But just after firing that engine, pop the valve covers one a time and look and make sure every push rod is spinning the same. If not, shut it down and find out why ... If they are, shut it off, button it up, refire and hold a varying high idle at 2,200+ for 15 minutes.

If your motor is equipped with Crower Cam Saver or Howards Direct Lube lifters (hydraulic or EDM solids), it is less of a requirement. Those designs will lube the lobes directly so your high idle regimen is reduced to spin-check and maybe 5 minutes of 2,200+.

Do not get weird about the oil. Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn are good oils. 10W-30 is fine. But so is Chevron Delo/Supreme, Rotella T5 or any other decent modern oil with 1,200 PPM of zinc. Millions of cams have been broken in on HDEO. No off brands, house brands, etc. Valvoline VR-1 Silver Bottle is the number one hot-motor oil out there for flat tappet motors. It would be a very good choice.

Make sure you have a magnetic drain plug. Use some JB Weld to stick a magnet of the side of the oil filter. Run your new motor for 500 miles and change. Look at the drain plug. Cut open the filter. Look where that magnet was glued on. If iron/steel particles are fuzzy and stuck to either magnet, find out why?

I hope you blocked the oil by-pass's? You want all the oil going through the filter - all the time. Use an oversized filter. The larger media area will allow cool oil to pass easier on start-up.

Unless your motor has bone stock OEM every day valve springs, you need to take precautions. There have been soft cam cores and MANY imported lifters that will not live. Johnson or Delphi USA made lifters are usually very good. Crower and Howards have never had reports of soft faces. Crower is the only outfit that publishes face hardness, but Howards sources their lifters from the same MFG (Johnson).

If you do all the above, it'll run 200,000 unless extremely wild. If you don't, who knows ...

If lifter metal gets loose, it will take the whole motor. It gets embedded in piston skirts and bearings and the whole thing has to be redone ...

The motors you rebuilt in the past were from USA sourced parts - especially lifters. Today, it's a turd shoot where the parts come from ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

The motors you rebuilt in the past were from USA sourced parts - especially lifters. Today, it's a turd shoot where the parts come from ...

Exactly, sad that with todays technology, one would think that the quality of the materials used to make cams and lifter would be better than in years past. Breaking in a cam back then wasn't known and it seemed engine rebuilds did well. But then again, tech has changed and brought us roller lifters and rockers.

I agree that if you rebuild an engine today, you can get roller lifters for a reasonable price over flat tappet so why not go that route. Not like they will tear into the engine to see if it is all original.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why no roller? too much bucks? Hard to beat roller for fat torque. I do understand the expense.

Now is this stock cam with low seat pressure? (90 lb closed 260 open) 10 mins would be fine. Race cam you have to run in with low pressure valve springs - than install race springs and give it another 10 mins.

Just disco choke if you have one and run the carb on a high idle cam - If you have a carb!

Exactly. I played Russian Roulette a few to many times with FT cams, until I realized they're no long "less expensive" when you have to go through and engine AGAIN.

Don't use a stick between the seat and gas pedal!!!! Sheesh - just turn the idle screw up about 1-1/2 to 2 turns, that will be close.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Any cams over ~ .480" lift got special springs just for break in. Some inline six engines had softer springs that I liked to use. I liked about no more than ~80-100 lbs of pressure at max lift.

I never ran at the SAME RPM - it's good to vary it up or down every 5-10 mins, because oil slings off the crank at different angles at different RPM.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
What gets me is back in the day, 1983 or so, when I rebuilt two different chevy engines, one a small block 327 and the other a big block 396, I never did the cam break in like stated above and never had any problems in all the miles I put on both.

I wonder what has changed or if I was just luck. I also just ran, at least back then it was Quaker State Deluxe oil 10w-30. Again no issues but did change out the oil every 3k miles.
You got lucky! My 69 chevelle, 340 duster, 70 elcamino and 79 ltd ALL ATE A CAM! The Elcamino ate new ones while being properly broken in!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You got lucky! My 69 chevelle, 340 duster, 70 elcamino and 79 ltd ALL ATE A CAM! The Elcamino ate new ones while being properly broken in!

I wouldn't be too proud of that accomplishment
31.gif

From my first engine rebuild back in the 70s to the last engine rebuild I did last summer, I have always done what an old racer and speed shop owner told me to do, use a liberal amount of moly-graph on the cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker arms and only use 30 weight for break-in. Can't remember the number of engines I built, but most were GM, BBC, SBC, Olds, Pontiac and a few Fords for my odd-ball friends. I guess I've been lucky also because every camshaft survived the break-in and lived long lives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And this thread is why I love roller motors.

Yes. So sweet and more hp too.

I have put cams into many high performance applications. Most were Crane parts and I followed their procedures to the letter.

I have watched others fumble the start up procedure by cranking too much without starting, failing to hold proper rpm for the proper time, etc. Then when their cam dies they blame the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back