Does a used water pump have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story goes like this:
A new water pump gets installed on an engine that after some time fails and is changed with a used engine that has its own pump.

The new pump gets uninstalled from the first failed engine and stored. Is it OK if it will be used again in the future or will its seals go bad while is storage?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would assume that yes the seals go bad with time just like a new old stock water pump would. I have no idea how long that would take.

If that's all, then no problem. The technician that uninstalled it claimed that the wear rate of a used pump is faster than an unused one.

Originally Posted By: inquirer
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would assume that yes the seals go bad with time just like a new old stock water pump would. I have no idea how long that would take.

If that's all, then no problem. The technician that uninstalled it claimed that the wear rate of a used pump is faster than an unused one.

The problems are the steel parts. Once they are exposed to coolant they will start to oxidize/corrode faster when removed. Reinstall it sometime down the road and wear is accelerated. I wouldn't take a chance unless it is an extremely rare or expensive pump.

I have never had a problem, with either corrosion or seals leaking.
The longest stored "used" pump I have ever dealt with was from a '99 Explorer 5.0 and "nothing special" was done to preserve it.

It found a new home in 2012 (13 years) and works perfectly to this day.

Take it FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have never had a problem, with either corrosion or seals leaking.
The longest stored "used" pump I have ever dealt with was from a '99 Explorer 5.0 and "nothing special" was done to preserve it.

It found a new home in 2012 (13 years) and works perfectly to this day.

Take it FWIW.

Well, that's great! I was curious to find someone who had experience himself with that matter and a pump that was stored "unpreserved" for 13 years sounds like an excellent example!

used and rebuilt can be different things. Typically rebuilt means that the seals and other wear items are assessed and either replaced or kept together. That being said if it is truly a used part you get what you pay for. I've thrown new, rebuilt and used parts on many different vehicles. Vehicles go as follow, want to keep, like to keep and trading in. Typically I steer clear of anything used unless I was instructed to install or I am looking to get something running to get a decent trade in

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I've thrown new, rebuilt and used parts on many different vehicles. Typically I steer clear of anything used unless I was instructed to install or I am looking to get something running to get a decent trade in

I kind of go the other way sometimes. I'll often trust a good used part before trusting a rebuilt part where the Quality Control process of the rebuilder is either insufficient, or altogether non-existent. What comes to mind is a rash of poorly rebuilt starters and alternators in the 90's and 00's that were performing FAR below what a good used one would do.

What's really "throwing me for a loop" is the NEW Chinese alternators (like Autozone Gold) that are better quality than a rebuilt factory one, for the same price (or sometimes less)

If I have my choice between Rock Auto's wholesaler closeout and regular inventory on a water pump, and it's a timing belt driven water pump, I'm picking the regular inventory.

Used, I would worry about rust and corrosion around the seal. If I was really short on funds and it is an easy job (like the modulars below) I may take a chance, if it was an original Ford part, and keep an eye on things, and probably install it before a China special. A WP usually don't fail catastrophically.

My neighbor has a newer Explorer with the 3.5, the WP is deep inside and was quoted over 2 grand in labor, not far out of an extended warranty. It can also leak down into engine with no warning and destroy it. Really sad design, done because the WP had to fit for FWD. The Lincoln has a V8 with external pump and is FWD. For something like that OEM or nothing. Part is under 50 bucks.

I bought a used one for a 69 Buick Riviera from an old time yard I go to a few years ago because I needed it now not in a week. It had been on the shelf in a shed for many years, no problem at all its still going and leak free.
I would say if you washed it off with water dried and stored it in a zip lock bag it will last longer than you will ever need to keep it.

Why on earth would you install a used water pump? Especially since they're so difficult to replace once the engine is installed! And if the engine has a timing belt you replace the WP as a regular maintenance item anyway.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea, especially considering that water pups themselves aren't that expensive and usually come with the gaskets.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Why on earth would you install a used water pump? Especially since they're so difficult to replace once the engine is installed! And if the engine has a timing belt you replace the WP as a regular maintenance item anyway.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea, especially considering that water pups themselves aren't that expensive and usually come with the gaskets.

Simple its over 45 years old and the fan was all over the show due to a bearing fail with coolant pouring out, car 75 miles from home and a used one with tight bearing and no crud at the weep hole was available that day. No new ones were available for about a week, easy job on the old 430.
What would you have done?

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Everything has a shelf life including us and the shelf!!
Smoky

Aint that the truth.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back