Oil for yzf600r

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 yzf600r with a slip on and jet kit. I wondering what kind of oil i should be using. My goal is a oil chnage once a year. Bought the bike with 7k on it. 2nd owner. First owner did 1k dealer oil then 6k on castrol half synthic in a black bottle 10w40. I did the oil at 8k with amsoil metric 10w40. Currently have 12k miles on it and stored it. But once i take the bike out im changing the oil. I used a bosch 3323 with amsoil. I was thinking about trying the mobil 1 110 oil filter next oci but i have no idea on what oil i want to run. I dont do wheelis. City riding. Like to go through the gears most of the way. I want a oil that protects and can do atleast a 5-6k oci with a shared sump. Prefer price to be 50 bucks or less for 4 qts. Bike hold 3.2 but i use 3.5 with a car filter on. Bike used a little less than half a qt of amsoil oil before i parked it. Thats how much it took to top it off in the sight glass before i parked it.

Google sunruh and his oil testing 1st. MM1 filter will serve you well. I run a XG7317 as it easy to obtain. Oil will shear out of grade no matter what you put in there, cheap oil with short OCI's is the sane way to go.

I have a Yamaha GTS-1000, and it takes the same filter. I am currently dissecting and reviewing about 8 different filters. So far my favorites are the M1-108, the Purolator BOSS and the Fram XG6607. Amsoil will have a filter exactly the same as the M1-108 - they are the same filter with a different color. The Amsoil is a EAO12 . The Bosch you are using is fine for a mid-level filter, but the others are better for a few dollars more. The standard orange Fram is a dirt cheap filter, and the specific base Fram MC filter for you application is the sam as the entry level Fram orange. As for oil- I use either Amsoil 10w40 (Product Code: AMOQT-EA) or Amsoil 20w50 (Product Code: AROQT-EA)

Many have used Rotella 15w40 with success. Very cheap and you don't feel bad for dumping it frequently to preserve the clutches.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
How long can i go on t6 and mobil filter

More than likely at least 3k. That said I have seen some UOA's from Victory bikes with straight T6 that sheared out of grade more so than expected. The same person ran the Rotella T5 (blend) and had much better results.

I found 6 qts of Castrol Power 1 10w-40 4T synthetic on Amazon for $46. That is what I am running in my bike right now and I am pleased with it.

How long can i go on t6 and mobil filter

T6 gets chewed up in my bike in just over 1k to the point shifting is noticeably notch. Stick to 15w's, it's not like you will encounter weather that cold while on 2 wheels, the shear stability is night and day. I'd run the M1 filter for at least 5-7k, I know it's short, but I get paranoid with al the clutch, gear/synchro debris.

If you want to go 5-6k between oil changes you'll need something shear stable. As opposed to what has been said already, there are oils that hold up well for long intervals with minimal viscometric shear. You will undoubtedly pay more per bottle for them, but if you extend the intervals, then you'll likely save money or break even with what you would have spent of 3-5 changes of cheaper oil in the same period.

I have a 2003 yzf600r with a slip on and jet kit. I wondering what kind of oil i should be using. My goal is a oil chnage once a year. Bought the bike with 7k on it. 2nd owner. First owner did 1k dealer oil then 6k on castrol half synthic in a black bottle 10w40. I did the oil at 8k with amsoil metric 10w40. Currently have 12k miles on it and stored it. But once i take the bike out im changing the oil. I used a bosch 3323 with amsoil. I was thinking about trying the mobil 1 110 oil filter next oci but i have no idea on what oil i want to run. I dont do wheelis. City riding. Like to go through the gears most of the way. I want a oil that protects and can do atleast a 5-6k oci with a shared sump. Prefer price to be 50 bucks or less for 4 qts. Bike hold 3.2 but i use 3.5 with a car filter on. Bike used a little less than half a qt of amsoil oil before i parked it. Thats how much it took to top it off in the sight glass before i parked it.

I agree with MotoTribologist above. One thing I would keep in mind with your YZF600R is while it is a bulletproof motor, there have been known issues with abnormal wear in the gearbox (primarily 2nd gear dog wear). Due to this and your enjoyment of running through the gears I'd recommend easier/smooth 1-2 shifts, along with utilizing thicker viscosity oils for greater oil film strength and more shear stable oils. For example, Rotella 15W40 or a higher quality synthetic around the 15W50 viscosity range.

I run 10W-40 semi-synthetic, bike-specific oil in mine. This has included Castrol Power 1 4T, Fuchs Silkolene Super 4 and currently Motorex Formula 4T. I change it at around 3-4,000 miles, realising that it can go further but I don't ride many miles a year.

The 2nd gear issue is rather over-stated on the internet, but I know of a couple of bikes that have done this (for context, I have been an admin of the UK-based Thundercat forum for 15 years or so). However, there are other bikes that also do this. Happily, mine is fine.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I run 10W-40 semi-synthetic, bike-specific oil in mine. This has included Castrol Power 1 4T, Fuchs Silkolene Super 4 and currently Motorex Formula 4T. I change it at around 3-4,000 miles, realising that it can go further but I don't ride many miles a year.

The 2nd gear issue is rather over-stated on the internet, but I know of a couple of bikes that have done this (for context, I have been an admin of the UK-based Thundercat forum for 15 years or so). However, there are other bikes that also do this. Happily, mine is fine.
once in a great while if i prissy foot it up to second ill get a netruel. If i shift firm it dont happen.

Yeah, the Yamaha 'box is known to be a bit of a clunker from 1st to 2nd, you just need a firm foot. The "2nd gear issue" is where the bike will jump out of 2nd gear under power due to wear on the engagement dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back