2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 2165 mi - M1 V-Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley4143.jpg

Changed this time, has been in service since 03/25/15.

I'm curious about the change in viscosity and why it would be "pretty common for some Harleys". Though this oil starts out at the upper end of the range already based on Blackstone VOA.

Your oil could have easily gone the full 5000 mile Harley interval.

I would say maybe the Harley engines using the oil for just the engine may show less shearing than other motor cycles that also use the oil for the trans and clutch.
My last UOA showed Red Line 20w-50 also a little thicker than it started although all my other UOAs showed slight shearing.
Your oil did stay in the 50 weight range, >16.3 - <21.9

Yeah I also am confused about the viscosity comment int he report. It is a SAE 50 in a machine that produces no oil shear. Why would the oil viscosity decrease without fuel dilution. It should only rise due to oxidation, combustion by-product contamination and oil volatility.

The oil viscosity didnt shear, it rose.
Over the years, Mobile 1 and Amsoil have been known to increase in viscosity in some Harleys.

Why is anyones guess, wear numbers are always good but yes, you would think the oil is oxidizing. Both oils have been known to have similar traits. One is worse then the other but forgot which.

Is it possible these oils are designed like this, so when used in shared sump bikes the end user does not see as much viscosity shear and transmission shifting would stay good.
Yet when used in a non shared sump, this possible "built in" thickening/oxidizing (or whatever) slowly thickens up out of grade in non shared sumps. I think that maybe plausible but have no idea.

I don't think your bike is broken in yet. Mine had to get over 5k to start feeling broken in. I now have over 7k on it and just got an analysis back with very little metal contamination.
Iron 10
copper 31
tbn 6.3
Visc. 18.1 (100c)
Bike has 7.5k Valvoline syn 20-50 with 3k on oil.
14 Ultra Ltd. 103ci

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I don't think your bike is broken in yet. Mine had to get over 5k to start feeling broken in.

I agree, it probably isn't completely finished wearing in. I'm not sure what it would do to "feel broken in" though it runs very well, always has.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I now have over 7k on it and just got an analysis back with very little metal contamination.
Iron 10
copper 31
tbn 6.3
Visc. 18.1 (100c)
Bike has 7.5k Valvoline syn 20-50 with 3k on oil.
14 Ultra Ltd. 103ci

So your iron was slightly better but copper was double.

How many changes has yours had?

Hopefully I will be home enough next year to get some riding in...

although not a shared oil harley's can be very hard on oil due to their heat + only 3 qts, unless its cool where you live

Sorry, late to the party on this thread.

Am I correct that you put this Oil in on 3/25/2015 and sampled it a few times along the way? I saw that written below the Blackstone report in the first post, want to clarify that.

If that is the case, I see zinc is up by almost 500 ppm since the last sample and 200 ppm since the first sample?

Originally Posted By: Bonz
Sorry, late to the party on this thread.

Am I correct that you put this Oil in on 3/25/2015 and sampled it a few times along the way? I saw that written below the Blackstone report in the first post, want to clarify that.

That is correct you can look at the “miles on oil” vs “miles on unit" to determine the changes vs interim samples...

Originally Posted By: Bonz
If that is the case, I see zinc is up by almost 500 ppm since the last sample and 200 ppm since the first sample?

Strange isn’t it.

Yes, it is strange. Mobil must have a secret add-pack that releases additives out of magical suspension mid-way through an OCI.

Is this a question that has been posed to Blackstone? I have had consistent results from them, but your results are not even close to a margin of error I would expect, whatever that is deemed to be (10%?).

Anyway, thanks for responding!

I did talk to them about a similar issue and they said that for the additives since the PPM is much higher than wear metals a greater variation is expected, but it doesn’t affect their ability to judge the engines heath because wear metals are such a small PPM the same percentage is a much smaller number (at least thats what I understood them to say).

Still 1900 PPM zinc is more than the virgin sample.

I probably should have had this one rerun, but it is probably too late now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back