New best summer tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Apparently, this comfortably beats the Pilot Super Sport, which had almost no competition in the first place (and comfortably beat what rare competition it had). If your size is on the list below, it's probably safe to just buy this tire and not worry about anything else.

Pic courtesy of Tire Rack:
mi_pilot_sport_4s_pdpcrop.jpg

Sizes available, also per Tire Rack:

18"
- 245/40ZR18 (97Y)

19"
- 225/35ZR19 (88Y)
- 225/40ZR19 (93Y)
- 225/45ZR19 (96Y)
- 235/35ZR19 (91Y)
- 235/40ZR19 (96Y)
- 245/35ZR19 (93Y)
- 245/40ZR19 (98Y)
- 255/30ZR19 (91Y)
- 255/35ZR19 (96Y) [LRR]
- 265/30ZR19 (93Y)
- 265/35ZR19 (98Y)
- 275/30ZR19 (96Y)
- 275/35ZR19 (100Y)
- 285/35ZR19 (103Y)
- 295/30ZR19 (100Y)
- 305/30ZR19 (102Y)
- 325/30ZR19 (105Y)

20"
- 235/35ZR20 (92Y)
- 235/45ZR20 (100Y)
- 245/30ZR20 (90Y)
- 245/35ZR20 (95Y)
- 245/40ZR20 (99Y)
- 255/35ZR20 (97Y)
- 255/40ZR20 (101Y)
- 255/45ZR20 (105Y)
- 265/30ZR20 (94Y)
- 265/35ZR20 (95Y)
- 275/30ZR20 (97Y)
- 275/35ZR20 (102Y)
- 285/30ZR20 (99Y)
- 285/35ZR20 (104Y)
- 295/30ZR20 (101Y)
- 305/30ZR20 (103Y)
- 345/30ZR20 (106Y)

I'm only at 17" so I don't have to worry about spending $300 per tire for 245/70/17. My BFGs give me 90-95% or more of the PSS, which is plenty good enough.

Tire Rack still has the PSS as top of the Max Summer list. Where can I find the PSS+4?

Originally Posted By: Olas
For those of us who don't have ridiculously oversize wheels, the good old Yokohama a539 is still the king.

Not available on the US market apparently, and... that seems implausible to me in any case. Yokohama gives it a "C" for wet grip, well below the Advan Sport V105, which Tire Rack thinks is a match for the Pilot Super Sport...

Agreed on the sizing, though. Really dislike the modern trend toward huge wheels.

For those of us who don't have ridiculously oversize wheels, the good old Yokohama a539 is still the king.

Not sold in the US, AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'm only at 17" so I don't have to worry about spending $300 per tire. My BFGs give me 90% or more of the PSS, which is good enough.

I... doubt that.

Always nice to see a reasonable wheel size, though. All else equal, I'd take a smaller wheel over a better tire unless the margin were huge.

Tire Rack still has the PSS as top of the Max Summer list. Where can I find the PSS+4?

Link is at the top of the first post.

Makes sense that the PSS is still listed as the top, as it's too early for test results and consumer reviews on the PS4S.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Makes sense that the PSS is still listed as the top, as it's too early for test results and consumer reviews on the PS4S.

That's what I was saying. It's not on the Max Summer tire rating list yet. No stack of reviews to show were it would actually end up the list, except for Michelin saying "it's better."

Misprinted my tire size above....it's 275/40/ZR17. Nothing to doubt about DW/BFG Comp 2's getting 90-95% of PSS. The rankings and professional road tests suggest that. And a 5-10% spread is still significant for the 4 ft differential braking crowd. I would think the Conti DW wet grip is nearly the equal of the PSS. And the Comp 2 dry grip is probably about equal to the PSS. If you want both...that's the PSS.

They liked the Firehawks better from what I read. PSS not far behind, but Firehawks much less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
They liked the Firehawks better from what I read. PSS not far behind, but Firehawks much less expensive.

2 years ago those Firehawks were not near the top of the UHP category and had much lower ratings as represented by the Indy 500 Wide Ovals. It would appear they changed the tire since then as the total test data only shows 43K miles on the Indy 500's, far too little to accurately gauge them when others have millions of miles on them. I'm skeptical of the FH Indy 500 being at the top of the list by such a wide margin. It's not like Firestone FH has a reputation for top end performance tires.

And a 100% owner recommendation for them is unrealistic for anything but a PSS. Sounds like too few owners reporting in so far (44 total owners). That might be way too soon in their life to properly judge them. The new owner "euphoria" hasn't even worn off yet. And you're not even supposed to push the tires for the first 500 miles. One new owner claimed 15% increase in MPG already...LOL. Maybe these are the new best bang for the buck for summer tires....better than the PSS. You would think so reading the reviews.

UHP list

I hope Michelin offers 18" tires for the staggered setup on the 2 Series. I put PSS tires on the MS3 and they are the OEM fitment for the 2er. I can't see replacing them with anything else.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

2 years ago those Firehawks were not near the top of the UHP category and had much lower ratings as represented by the Indy 500 Wide Ovals. It would appear they changed the tire since then as the total test data only shows 43K miles on the Indy 500's, far too little to accurately gauge them when others have millions of miles on them. I'm skeptical of the FH Indy 500 being at the top of the list by such a wide margin. It's not like Firestone FH has a reputation for top end performance tires.

And a 100% owner recommendation for them is unrealistic for anything but a PSS. Sounds like too few owners reporting in so far (44 total owners). That might be way too soon in their life to properly judge them. The new owner "euphoria" hasn't even worn off yet. And you're not even supposed to push the tires for the first 500 miles. One new owner claimed 15% increase in MPG already...LOL. Maybe these are the new best bang for the buck for summer tires....better than the PSS. You would think so reading the reviews.

UHP list

U
Yes. Same as OPINIONS here.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Excellent! I see the JGC's tire size in the OP, 295/30/20
grin.gif

If I can ever wear down the PSS's I bought I will jump on a set of these! I run 275/35/20's and they wear like rocks, ride like marshmallows, and stick like glue.

Just like mr Compact said, can't imagine anything less.

You know, analogies seem to help sometimes.

Think of a tire like a speaker. A good speaker can sometimes make a huge difference in a sound system. Might cost a little more, but may be very tough and hard to kill.

Same with a PSS. Likely would improve even a poor handling car, ride smoother AND quieter, especially if your car has big ones...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You know, analogies seem to help sometimes.

Think of a tire like a speaker. A good speaker can sometimes make a huge difference in a sound system. Might cost a little more, but may be very tough and hard to kill.

Same with a PSS. Likely would improve even a poor handling car, ride smoother AND quieter, especially if your car has big ones...

What's the load range on your PSS? That seems to be the limiting factor for me when I shop for tires. My car has a full 1,000lbs on yours!

If I can ever wear through my DWs, I'll give the Michelins a try.

Still super happy and would recommend the DWs to anyone needing a quality summer tire.

Not available on the US market apparently, and... that seems implausible to me in any case. Yokohama gives it a "C" for wet grip, well below the Advan Sport V105, which Tire Rack thinks is a match for the Pilot Super Sport...

Agreed on the sizing, though. Really dislike the modern trend toward huge wheels.

eBay and Amazn offer worldwide postage - you can get anything anywhere!
Annnnd, they're summer tyres. When cold wet weather sets in you switch to your winter tyres. It's like saying you'll never buy shorts because they won't keep you warm in the winter - specific tools have specific uses.

I would hesitate to lump all larger wheels into a group and call them ridiculously oversize
if for example they are 20" but require 19's to clear the rotors.

Now for those vehicles that have 19" and 15's would clear.. yea.

Also those tires are in no way competing with the tires mentioned in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I would hesitate to lump all larger wheels into a group and call them ridiculously oversize
if for example they are 20" but require 19's to clear the rotors.

Now for those vehicles that have 19" and 15's would clear.. yea.

Also those tires are in no way competing with the tires mentioned in this thread.

I know that a lot of modern vehicles are designed around those larger wheels - mechanically they're appropriate but I think they look ridiculous - I've slowly gotten used to 18s over the years but anything 19"/20"/21" upward just reminds me of those "donk" vehicles with chrome 32"s and tacky paint jobs.
Everyone appreciates a different aesthetic, in general I think a smaller wheel looks better.

eBay and Amazn offer worldwide postage - you can get anything anywhere!
Annnnd, they're summer tyres. When cold wet weather sets in you switch to your winter tyres. It's like saying you'll never buy shorts because they won't keep you warm in the winter - specific tools have specific uses.

I said they have a C for wet grip. Not cold grip. Wet grip.

Quote:
I said they have a C for wet grip. Not cold grip. Wet grip.

Love threads where someone starts to discuss by far best performance tires in the world, and someone jumps in saying: yeah, but you can get much cheaper, and it is SAME.
I get rash immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back