why no love for LUCAS oil additives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great for unethical used car dealers, or individuals, that want to unload a ticking, tapping, knocking lemon. Pour it in and sell it. Other than that I don't see any use for it.

Completely useless with today's modern cars and oil technology, and in many/most cases, does far more harm than good.

Serves no valid, ethical purpose in a properly working, modern engine.

The only service it provides is extending something already so clapped out that 50 leaks through it, or temporarily hiding a problem so you can rip someone off.

i appreciate the HONESTY, however it did cure my pwr steering whine..i admit was it the other additive

If an ADDITIVE "adds" something beneficial to an oil, then Lucas is a SUBTRACTIVE.

It dilutes the inherent additives in the oil (subtractive), and only makes it thicker, with less ppm of what's actually important.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06

A better question would be, "why would be foolish enough to use LUCAS oil additives?"

"Because oil alone is not enough".... That is total marketing B S 101.
Tell that to new car makers when they pour ONLY oil in their new,tight tolerance,hot running modern engine.How will they ever live to 100,000 miles much less 200,000 with only oil.....tell me...tell me....
lol

Boy, what a rough bunch! You're right, of course, just a little tough. With oils being so well engineered nowadays there simply is no place for these "fortifying" additives - oil today is fortified by the manufacturer and needs absolutely nothing. Best to save your money....

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: lucerne06

A better question would be, "why would be foolish enough to use LUCAS oil additives?"

Or any Lucas product for that matter, do they still market oil?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Boy, what a rough bunch! You're right, of course, just a little tough. With oils being so well engineered nowadays there simply is no place for these "fortifying" additives - oil today is fortified by the manufacturer and needs absolutely nothing. Best to save your money....

unfortunately its not really an additive. It is some heavy bright stock that just dilutes and thickens good oil.

Well the stuff is as thick @ 100c as delo 15w40 is at 40. That's a full 100cst thicker than a 60wt. >3700 cst at 40c, that's juuust a little thinner that M1 0w20 AFE...at -35C. Elemental analysis shows nothing much beyond single digits.

You want this in your engine?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Not even as good as old STP ...

Exactly....costs way more, does less. Atleast STP will give you a mild boost of ZDDP if you need it.

That being said, Lucas makes SOME good products. I have seen the power steering stuff work. They make a good gun oil. And their Slick Mist spray wax/detailer is good. But that is about it.

But boy you should see the volumes of the LOS that heavy commercial truck lube places go thru. It is rare for a semi truck to roll in for an oil change and the owner DOESN'T want LOS it seems like. The shop I frequent with my big truck, they go thru pallets of the stuff. They know I don't want that stuff anywhere near my truck so they will ask me when they are getting the mileage/hours info if I want some LOS... with a big smile on their face. They love to see my reaction when I refuse. Kind of a game we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back