American made plugs and wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for plugs & wires for my daughter's 2005 Monte Carlo SS, 5.3L

Is there still such a thing as American made plugs and wires? My research is indicating there is not, so I thought I'd ask.

I'd be looking for a set of Delphi plug wires and whatever plug was stock for it myself. I know Delphi makes the OEM wires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlindBaby
I'm shopping for plugs & wires for my daughter's 2005 Monte Carlo SS, 5.3L

Is there still such a thing as American made plugs and wires? My research is indicating there is not, so I thought I'd ask.

Why not just buy the best plugs and wires?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I'd be looking for a set of Delphi plug wires and whatever plug was stock for it myself. I know Delphi makes the OEM wires.

They could but I would be willing to bet Delphi outsources the actual manufacture of them. I have hauled wiring harnesses and such direct to GM plants in the past and they were all made by American Yazaki in Mexico. A Japanese outfit making the stuff in Mexico. Picked up loaded trailers at the Mexican border and took them north to the plants in U.S. and Canada. Been awhile since I have hauled them, but really don't think much has changed. I now only haul Chinese made component parts from Chicago, IL that are processed by Neapco Drivelines in Beatrice, NE and haul finished stuff from there back to Neapco in Belleville, MI for distribution to the Big 3 assembly plants.

I think NGK has a spark plug factory in West Virgina. I'm guessing they supply plugs for Honda, Toyota?? vehicles assembled in North America.

ACDelco Iridium plugs are US-made versions of the NGK Laser iridium. And their wires for American nameplates are US-made as well. Yes, their factory is in West Virginia.

34.gif

Another reason to buy NGK plugs. Made here. That's great to learn.

Another very, very good product made here in the US. East Penn rocks!! Not products made in other countries like JC has started doing.

Last edited:
NGK and Denso(not all numbers) make plugs in the US, as does Federal-Mogul.

I think Delphi Packard still makes wire in the US.

The NGK copper plugs I put in my Liberty 2 years ago were USA made. Put a set of NGK Iridiums in the LR3 last summer and there were either Japanese or USA, can't remember.

Autolite is China, at least the copper ones I went to put in the Liberty, saw that and asked for the NGKs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think NGK has a spark plug factory in West Virgina. I'm guessing they supply plugs for Honda, Toyota?? vehicles assembled in North America.

It think it's for final assembly and packaging. The OEM NGK plugs I pulled from my wife's Civic say "ASSEMBLED IN U.S.A. USING JAPANESE COMPONENTS". The replacement NGKs I bought at Pep Boys were made in Japan.

They probably make a lot more plugs than OEM. Their plugs are OEM in a lot of Chrysler and GM cars. Not sure about Ford. They probably assemble aftermarket plugs at that plant too.

My just-bought box of ACDelco Iridium plugs along with the plug wires say made in the U.S. on them, and from the above I'd imagine they were made in West Virginia. Nice to know.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

It think it's for final assembly and packaging. The OEM NGK plugs I pulled from my wife's Civic say "ASSEMBLED IN U.S.A. USING JAPANESE COMPONENTS". The replacement NGKs I bought at Pep Boys were made in Japan.

They probably make a lot more plugs than OEM. Their plugs are OEM in a lot of Chrysler and GM cars. Not sure about Ford. They probably assemble aftermarket plugs at that plant too.

Ford uses NGK or Autolite as their suppliers. My parent's Sienna had NGKs that were US-made, the Densos I put in were also American made.

AC Delco plugs can be either made by Autolite in Mexico, Federal-Mogul in the US, or by either NGK or Denso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back