Italian Tuneup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was out and about shopping yesterday with her mother, while I hung out at the casa with the kiddos...

When she returned home, she mentioned noticing a very strong exhaust smell coming from her Buick (the one in my sig) while loading things into the back of the SUV. So, I got up early this morning to check it out. The coolant level was perfect– no head gasket issues. Pulled the air box and checked to see if the PCV was dumping a lot oil – clean as a whistle, no issues there. Throttle body was a little dirty – some carb cleaner took care it. Turned the engine on and checked for any obvious problems (rough idle, knocking, etc.) I could not find anything wrong, but noticed the exhaust did indeed smell very strong. However, the exhaust was colorless, which was a good sign...

No codes being thrown and all maintenance was all up-to-date; new spark plugs, good air filter, fresh oil and filter about 750 miles ago, and TT gas in it. So, I thought why not go for a good old, Italian Tuneup. Took the Buick out, got it warmed up, and started putting load on the engine, and doing some full throttle driving. After about 20 mins, the strong exhaust smell went away, and it's still running smooth.

My wife drives highway miles, everyday, so the SUV doesn't see high RPMs often. I guess I'll have to take it out and redline it for her everyone once and awhile.

Any of y'all do Italian Tuneups?

Originally Posted By: ATex7239

Any of y'all do Italian Tuneups?

A few.... here and there. Not recently.

Sea Foam and/or Marvel Mystery Oil are often involved, as well.

that's some entertaining language. Nice firework show too.

As for the cause, I'm thinking it started with a plugged exhaust system which caused excessive backpressure and heat.

Seeing this reminds me to get the fuel hoses replaced on my BMW. Most of the rubber hoses are approaching 30 years of age

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Don't be like this guy. Foul language is included.

How awful. What a waste.

Excellent example of the results of EXTREME ignorance, though

My neighbors house burnt down once and the triplex wire feeding the house electrical burnt like that. Almost 100 ft of wire and up the pole. Burnt just like a fuse.

Wow, this thread de-railed fast.

Sorry OP, but to answer your q'n yes, I do daily hard drives of my Focus. I've noticed that when doing regular OCI's with some of the cheapest conventional oils, my valvetrain is as clean as those who regularly use quality synthetics.

I don't mean to thrash the engine, but considering the effort the engine has to use to traverse the mountain passes, it needs all the higher RPM's it can get...and I exercise that regularly
19.gif

I think a li'l high-rpm action *once in a while* helps bust the crud loose from the intake valves.

Other than that, I see no need for it.

Maybe you had some build-up in the cat converter and it just needed to get good & HOT to clean it up and make the exhaust smell nicer.

You could add some toluene, couple gallons to 10 of gas. Then do the Italian tune up. If the cat is clogged it's hard to clean on the car as you need to reverse the flow.

Lol. My guess is that the clogged cat got hot enough to cook a fuel line under there, and the rest was pretty much history.

Italian tuneup is a regular part of my driving experience.

Sounds like a typical direct injection issue. I am going to give the CRC intake cleaner a try but it sounds like your Buick might be a good candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back