lucas ruined engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had posted about this before, co worker of mine, 2008 F250 with the 5.4 Triton and he uses mostly Lucas for his oil changes,4-5 quarts Lucas, and 2-3 quarts 5W20 (7 qt capacity). Last Friday, he was on the road doing 55 mph when the oil pressure gauge dropped, he pulled over and the engine started knocking badly. He has it my cousins repair shop right now to determine if it can be fixed or if he'll need a new engine. I told him running so much Lucas didnt help the engine, his only reply was "it has 180,000 miles, you can expect things like that". He thinks it either spun a main or rod bearing, or the oil pump went out. What do yall think, do yall think the excess amounts and thickness of the Lucas, and also the fact that it has no additives, contributed to the failure?

Absolutely. A modular engine with vvt won't take well to such thick oil
frown.gif

Those 5.4Ls have plenty of issues.

Buddy of mine just lost his 5.4L Triton yesterday. Engine is dead. No idea about his oil history, but just reaffirming the previous post mentioning the issues with that engine.

Off topic:

I remember when the 7.3 Power Stroke was introduced. In the city we had no problems with them, or let's say relatively few problems. The dealerships in small towns with a lot of farmers ran into problems right away with their diesels. Those old farmers used Lucas in everything, including their trucks. Power Strokes don't like foamy aerated oil. It plays havoc with the injectors. Change oil, and they were good to go. Some of those stubborn SOBs didn't believe the techs and added Lucas again, and got to pay full price for the next oil change.

Last edited:
I use lucas in my company truck but not in my personal truck. The company truck is a 94 chevy c1500 with the 5.7 tbi with whatever bulk oil my company uses,while my personal truck is a 2000 c3500 with the 5.7 vortec which i run rotella 5w40.

Wow I can't even begin to wrap my head around how thick the goop in his sump was! Definitely off the SAE scale. That poor oil pump must have snapped in two

Okay I saw a somewhat recent voa showing Lucas oil stabilizer with a KV100 @ 115 cSt. So if he used even the lesser amount of 4 quarts Lucas and 3 quarts 5w20 (Approximately 8.5 cSt KV100) then the resulting viscosity is 31 cSt KV100 or exceeding sae j300 limits for SAE 60, or in the upper SAE 140 gear oil range.

If he used the greater amount of Lucas its 46 cSt KV100 blended, which is in the SAE 250 gear oil range (anything greater than 41 cSt)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Okay I saw a somewhat recent voa showing Lucas oil stabilizer with a KV100 @ 115 cSt. So if he used even the lesser amount of 4 quarts Lucas and 3 quarts 5w20 (Approximately 8.5 cSt KV100) then the resulting viscosity is 31 cSt KV100 or exceeding sae j300 limits for SAE 60, or in the upper SAE 140 gear oil range.

If he used the greater amount of Lucas its 46 cSt KV100 blended, which is in the SAE 250 gear oil range (anything greater than 41 cSt)

Thanks for doing the math. So basically SAE70 engine oil, in the winter, in a vehicle that calls for 5W20. Dude is a straight up IDIOT!

Just blue skying: with too thick an oil possibly the oil pressure relief valve opened out of settings then got stuck causing your oil pressure to drop. With not up to temperature oil combined with accelerating up to speed before leveling off might explain this. Nonetheless you'll soon find out. Let us know

It's "SAE 70" at best, depending on how much he actually added, and if the 5w20 was on the thicker side it could be slightly worse but yeah, mighty thick.

Here's the post from the Lucas VOA thread.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/890161/1

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Here is the skinny on LOS

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Does anyone have any feedback on Rotella blend, have I diluted it since it is a 5 to 1 mix??? or 83.33% Rotella / 16.67% Lucas

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
co worker of mine, 2008 F250 with the 5.4 .... mostly Lucas for his oil changes,4-5 quarts Lucas, and 2-3 quarts 5W20 (7 qt capacity).

I told him running so much Lucas didnt help the engine, his only reply was "it has 180,000 miles, you can expect things like that".

This guy is a straight-up moron. Sorry if that offends anyone.

How long has he owned the truck? Is this a situation that poor ol' 5.4 has been living with for years now?

Why would someone put an obnoxiously thick, detergentless oil in an engine that really doesn't like super thick oil?

If you have to be stupid, seems like dumping 6 quarts of 20w50 in would work better.

Oh well. He pays for his stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back