uneven wear on passenger front tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do frequent U-turns cause uneven wear on a the passenger front tire? I usually take left turns faster and do a lost of U-turns. I've always been more comfortable taking left turns than right turns. Also I guess it being a truck I can take left turns faster than right since they're wider. Every since I've owned this truck the front passenger tire has worn similar to a slanted roof. It wears even just at an angle if that makes sense. The front driver side tire kind of does it but not nearly as bad.

Opinions?

Do you regularly have a passenger, or weight on that side?

On the dodge, the tires on the drivers side wear far faster than on the passenger side. Since there's hardly ever a passenger, I've always figured it was to a certain pudgy driver.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Do you regularly have a passenger, or weight on that side?

On the dodge, the tires on the drivers side wear far faster than on the passenger side. Since there's hardly ever a passenger, I've always figured it was to a certain pudgy driver.

No

I'm tempted to just have them flip the tire around on the rim every 10,000 miles or so.

sounds like overly hard turns with lower air pressure would cause this.

I have a similar issue on my Focus and adding a few extra PSI has helped the tires wear more evenly. I attribute this to the faster my taking corners faster than most.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Do frequent U-turns cause uneven wear on a the passenger front tire? I usually take left turns faster and do a lost of U-turns. I've always been more comfortable taking left turns than right turns. Also I guess it being a truck I can take left turns faster than right since they're wider. Every since I've owned this truck the front passenger tire has worn similar to a slanted roof. It wears even just at an angle if that makes sense. The front driver side tire kind of does it but not nearly as bad.

Opinions?

Look at any Mercedes parked up on full lock and that will convince you that the answer is yes. Mercs are notorious for the castor angle causing the tires to tip over on their edge when on full lock but the effect happens on most makes to a lesser degree. Unless the castor angle is zero a tire tread will not stay flat to the road surface when any lock is applied.

Check the alignment first to determine if that is the issue otherwise I would get a good tire depth gauge and keep whatever tire has the least wear and put it on the front right. That way you are at least giving the tires even wear. Besides changing driving habits you aren't going to do much in terms of saving the tires.

The alignment is fine, they'll think I'm nuts if I ask again. Lol I just put a bunch of front end parts on and it's still doing it.

If static alignment is good and if you're sure its from turning are the anti sway bars working well? Bushings are good and snug? excessive body roll can cause camber problem. A camber adjustment can dial out uneven wear inside/out or outside/in. If you've ruled out bad or misadjusted components. Google camber adjustment kit there is one for that vehicle and they do exist for a reason. On the front end its not rocket science.

I remember the old ford twin I-Beam front suspensions were horrible for uneven wear with no adjustment other than having the I-Beams tweaked.

They set all that in spec too. I watched them. Are you saying I can have them adjust it in such a way that it will wear the other way? It doesn't pull or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back