Oil For My Sandrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my sandrail I have a 3.6L LFX V6 that is running between 4,000 - 6,000 rpm when out in the dunes. The previous owner was just running Castrol 5w-30 but I was thinking about running Mobil 1 5w-30 but due to the higher rpm was thinking the Torco SR-5 5-30 with a Mobil 1 filter would be a better option, what do the experts say? Is it worth spending atleast twice the price?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lfx/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Mobil 1 0w40 would be my choice given the hard usage. Isn't this engine DI also?

Yes, it's a direct inject. Looks like the Mobil 1 Racing would have to be ordered online.

Originally Posted By: Racerngr1
Mobil 1 0w40 would be my choice given the hard usage. Isn't this engine DI also?

Yes, it's a direct inject. Looks like the Mobil 1 Racing would have to be ordered online.

I believe he's referring to the European formula which is commonly available. All the parts stores typically stock it, as does Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Racerngr1

I believe he's referring to the European formula which is commonly available. All the parts stores typically stock it, as does Wal-Mart.

+1 the 0w40 that is available at any auto store. I suggested it based on the constant 4-6k rpm usage. A little extra film

When driving in sandy conditions your air filter is 10x more important than your oil filter. Get a Donaldson on there and any xw30 will do fine
smile.gif

Any Synthetic 10w30 or 0w40 should be great! Castrol, Valvoline, and Mobil 1 tend to be my go to oils!

Last edited:
If it's Mobil 1 you want, use the 0w-40, 5w-40 TDT, or 10w-40 HM. I see no real benefit to something fancier. Spend your money for more frequent changes of oil and air filters.

Originally Posted By: Olas
When driving in sandy conditions your air filter is 10x more important than your oil filter.

I agree.

Personally I would skip over the oil-able, reusable type filters and use a high capacity paper style filter with a lightly oiled foam pre-filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back