replacing only 2 tires - front or back is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
because I had a blow-out and was running on the spare which is a dif tire than the others, I needed to buy at least 2 new ones asap - I had budgeted for 4 tires come April, but not now, 2 was all I could afford.

This is for my Ranger pickup, 6 ft bed, empty, so no wt in the back. I went to Sears and the guy talked me into mounting them in the front, said well all the wt from the engine, etc., is there (it's not 4WD or FWD, just regular) and it'd be better to put them in the front, old tires in the back.

ok - so I did that - and now reading the info from the tires - Michelin Defenders - it said new/better tread tires should always be mounted on the rear wheels first over the front - [censored]???

that's what I said!! why did I listen to this guy? and what was he talking about? I've never heard of mounting the better tire in the front!!

Uh oh here we go again...

In your situation, put them on the rear until you get 2 more. You get rain and snow and need the traction.

Me? I've got 2 newer tires on the front of my Camry. In the end the rears will be the same tread depth and I'll buy 4 new again. But it doesn't snow here and it almost never rains.

So how much tread is left on the old ones?

There is an opinion that they need to be in the back to prevent spins from hydroplaning... Also, new deep tread will help with winter traction if on the rear. BTW, you need to get some weight back there. One sand bag in each corner will do wonders for traction
smile.gif

But, all the braking (>70%) is done by the front wheels and they do the steering (until the back-end steps out).

So, to me, it's always been about how a person drives, and if they are a sharp in snow, ice, mud, standing water, etc. If they are good at going slideways, put them where you want. If stopping is biggest concern, put them up front. If getting going is biggest concern, keep them in back ...

Typically you put the better tires on the rear axle when replacing only two tires. The logic is you want better traction on the axle you have less control over when driving.

On a pickup with a light back-end I'd put them on the rear. You'll need all the traction you can get.

I don't know if it really makes that much difference. In winter, it's probably better with good tires in the back. A Ranger is very "rear light".

I always need better braking more than traction, so the better tires always go on the front. I really never have rear traction problems.

I do a LOT of trailer pulling, so the back tires are always getting tortured no matter what, which might be cause for better tires in the rear, but I have found that it just kills new tires faster, anyway. That's just my situation.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There is an opinion that they need to be in the back to prevent spins from hydroplaning...

I can see that..... but again, I just slow down instead. Your points make sense.

Nothing gives me a queasy stomach like backing off the gas and having the rear end start to come around. I had this happen on a dry road in an old pick up. This time of yr , I ballasted my RWD car for winter. I also no longer drive like I was racing Tazio Nuvolari either
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Killer223
New tires always go up front where all the steering and braking happen.

Absolutely wrong.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
New tires always go up front where all the steering and braking happen.

Myth, and a dangerous one at that.

This one's easy. It's a rule: NEVER put new tires on the front axle only.

For safety you always have the best traction on the rear axle. This is true regardless of which axle(s) are drive axles. If the rear axle has less traction than the front, you will spin on curves in the wet, under braking, and in other low traction conditions. Oversteer in a RWD vehicle can be scary, in a FWD vehicle it's life threatening. Putting the higher traction tire on the front axle is setting yourself up for a (hopefully only a) single vehicle accident.

A rear drive vehicle with a grabby limited slip can be a handful on a slippery road. Best to put good tires on the back.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Typically you put the better tires on the rear axle when replacing only two tires. The logic is you want better traction on the axle you have less control over when driving.

+1 If you're replacing two tires typically you would put the fresh rubber where you get the most power. Considering the main power is in the rears for a RWD truck I would throw them in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back