Coldest you have washed / detailed car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 60-65 degF. Anything less than that and the appication/drying of wax doesn't work all that well. My last wash/wax/detail of the year is usually around mid November. Then nothing except winter water rinses above freezing to keep any salt/slush at bay. Next detailing won't be until May. I'll change the oil in cold weather but not a detail.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Around 60-65 degF. Anything less than that and the appication/drying of wax doesn't work all that well. My last wash/wax/detail of the year is usually around mid November. Then nothing except winter water rinses above freezing to keep any salt/slush at bay. Next detailing won't be until May. I'll change the oil in cold weather but not a detail.

Wax seemed to behave for me....

Great topic...I buy my cars new and keep them till they completely fail (like transmission failure after 253k miles) and they still look gorgeous! On that note, I've washed my cars many times in sub-freezing temperatures probably as low as 20F in my driveway, but the last time I did this, I turned my driveway into an ice-skating rink, slipped hard, hurt my elbow, and slid all the way down the driveway on my butt into the gutter. Since then, I won't do it unless it is at least 35F and even then, only in the sun. I just try to tell myself I've applied such a good coat of wax on before winter season, everything will be OK! I'd rather wait till it's a bit warmer than use a brush equipped auto car wash, or even a brushless facility which I hear rely on harsh cleaners in lieu of the brushes.

Last edited:
I was inspired by this thread to wash my car in 36 degree weather with Opti Rinseless. Started snowing before I finished, but I did get an awful lot of crud and salt off. I hardly ever go to commercial car washes. Can't stand the thought of all those dirty brushes rubbing the salt and sand they just took of the other guy's car onto mine.

My coldest was surely below 32°. Don't know what it was exactly. In the winter I put on heavy rubber gloves and wash it in the driveway. I learned a lot of things with winter washing.

- Keep the hose indoors so you don't have to thaw it out.
- It's easiest to wash in the evening just as you come home, so the water can rinse off the warm car and not freeze.
- Keep the doors open on the first click after washing so the water can dry out instead of wicking between the door seal and body.
- Be prepared to spread sand around the car next morning so you don't hurt yourself slipping on the ice.

I understand automated car washes recycle their wash water. This stuff loads up with salt and is forcefully sprayed into your car's crevices. Washing on the driveway eliminates this problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If my hose isn't frozen, the sun is out, and I'm in the mood I do it if it needs to be done.

+1

A bucket of warm soapy water does wonders! I work outside year round, so I'm use to my hands being cold.

I use the Optima "waterless" wash throughout the winter in my Morton building with a forced air kerosene heater just to protect the finish. It works great as long as you've rinsed the car free of anything more than light grime. Great stuff.

Last weekend, it was a little above freezing, sunny day, so I washed with a bucket of hot water, and hosed it off. I wear latex gloves, and it makes the exercise less painful. Then I used Turtle Wax spray-on wax. It was definitely not the 1st time I had washed in the winter. The car just looks so awful when it's covered with salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back