How To Remove Most ATF During Drain & Fill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I had heard to remove the most ATF during a *drain & fill you would want to slowly work the gear shift lever through P-N-D-R and back again in reverse R-D-N-P . Is this procedure done while the engine is off or on ?

*Please Note - I am not removing an ATF pan or Filter as Kia / Hyundai in my signature only have a drain plug below (the '17 Sonata will be a absolute bear when it's time to change the ATF as no dipstick with only a bubble level type device buried somewhere below in the engine compartment !)

I've heard of people letting the pan drain overnight with the filter removed to get a bit more ATF out. I wouldn't be running the engine shifting through the gears with the pan down. Engine off, I never gave it much thought. If you're concerned with getting as much ATF out as possible, do a line off fluid exchange. It's tried and true.

^^Too late to edit. Combine the pan drop with the line off exchange, win, win.

Do a drain and fill with a cooler line flush. I did this with the Volvo in my sig because there's really no pan and the filter isn't serviceable. Hopefully the plug is magnetic too.

I'm not sure about letting it sit overnight. Did that with my Jeep one time and it still had ATF dripping from it next morning. I doubt it was enough to make a difference.

I personally would leave the gear selector alone.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Do a drain and fill with a cooler line flush. I did this with the Volvo in my sig because there's really no pan and the filter isn't serviceable. Hopefully the plug is magnetic too.

I'm not sure about letting it sit overnight. Did that with my Jeep one time and it still had ATF dripping from it next morning. I doubt it was enough to make a difference.

I personally would leave the gear selector alone.
I had the ATF lines and the radiator out for several months on my 2nd '99 5283 whilst I repaired the front. I don't remember exactly how many qts it took to fill it but it was at least 6.Drip, drip, drip..

Once the pump(the "heart") runs dry and isn't making pressure - you can "shift the lever" all you want and it won't make a spit of difference.

The factory Allison guide says drain as much as possible, refill - then drive it a bit. Then repeat (drain and fill). This refreshes over 90% of the fluid.

It's insane, OCD, and completely unnecessary to get every last drop of old fluid out.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I believe I had heard to remove the most ATF during a *drain & fill you would want to slowly work the gear shift lever through P-N-D-R and back again in reverse R-D-N-P . Is this procedure done while the engine is off or on ?

*Please Note - I am not removing an ATF pan or Filter as Kia / Hyundai in my signature only have a drain plug below (the '17 Sonata will be a absolute bear when it's time to change the ATF as no dipstick with only a bubble level type device buried somewhere below in the engine compartment !)

I've done this drain/fill (1X) with my Kia Optima and yes, the shifting of the gears is with the engine running, same as checking the actual final level using the inspection port on the side of the tranny case (accessible from both above and below the engine). Best way to do this (I've found) is to park it after driving it a bit to heat up the fluid, get it up in the air via ramps and remove the bottom drain drain bolt after removing the bottom plastic access panels. After it all drains out, clean and reinstall the bolt. Via the front inspection port (clean the area before removing the plastic inspection plug (using 3/8" ratchet - it fits right in) and using a clean funnel, put 6 qts of Kia approved ATF in. Close it up and take if for a short drive going through all the gears. Return it to the ramps and recheck the level by carefully (with the engine running) remove the inspection port and see allow excess fluid to drain out until it just "dribbles" and close it back up. If you have a Bluetooth OBD-II pod and Torque Pro, you can monitor the ATF temperature and there is a temperature range in which to check the final fluid level to make sure you've not over-filled it or under-filled it. This method is what is in the Kia Service manual and the way the Dealership does it. I'd highly recommend using the newer, full synthetic Kia fluid SP4-M which is only ~$9 quart. I'd also recommend doing this every 30K miles or so (severe service in the Kia manual is every 60K miles so your choice).

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6-opti...-first-one.html

I would add that you NEVER should let your AT fluid pump run out of fluid while running if you are using the trans cooler hose method! I'd also suggest (and I wish I did this the first time I changed my fluid) to do the simple drain/fill method three times (don't need to do the measuring of the fluid level 1st or 2nd time, just put 6qts in, drain it out fully out on the next cycle) and take it for a drive between cycles. On the last drain/fill cycle (#3), do the fluid level check. Doing the 3X drain/fill will have safely removed the most old fluid out. Yes, it will require you to purchase 18 quarts of fluid of which only the last 6 are kept in the tranny. It's really your choice, you might just do it 2x instead of 3x cycle.

Last edited:
The best way to get the most out is to do the drain-and-fill 3-4x, driving a little in between the drains. Drive it around the block and back, or you could do them a week apart.

2X should be sufficient for 99.9% of all car & light truck owners.

I'd like to see actual, scientific proof that 3x - 4x adds ANY additional benefit, other than wasting $$$.
(to a trans that is already fully functional and as a "maintenance" - not repair - action only)

I always do a cooler line flush, unless dealing with a vehicle that has a torque converter that can drain.

It's so simple, and prevents you from having to drop a pan that is full of fluid.

This is impossible with some transmissions, but when that is the case, I do a complete flush by hooking a hose to the filter inlet.

Good information ... Current Kia takes SPIII : Can you use the newer SPIV in a '07 Kia that was spec'd for SPIII ?
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

I've done this drain/fill (1X) with my Kia Optima and yes, the shifting of the gears is with the engine running, same as checking the actual final level using the inspection port on the side of the tranny case (accessible from both above and below the engine). Best way to do this (I've found) is to park it after driving it a bit to heat up the fluid, get it up in the air via ramps and remove the bottom drain drain bolt after removing the bottom plastic access panels. After it all drains out, clean and reinstall the bolt. Via the front inspection port (clean the area before removing the plastic inspection plug (using 3/8" ratchet - it fits right in) and using a clean funnel, put 6 qts of Kia approved ATF in. Close it up and take if for a short drive going through all the gears. Return it to the ramps and recheck the level by carefully (with the engine running) remove the inspection port and see allow excess fluid to drain out until it just "dribbles" and close it back up. If you have a Bluetooth OBD-II pod and Torque Pro, you can monitor the ATF temperature and there is a temperature range in which to check the final fluid level to make sure you've not over-filled it or under-filled it. This method is what is in the Kia Service manual and the way the Dealership does it. I'd highly recommend using the newer, full synthetic Kia fluid SP4-M which is only ~$9 quart. I'd also recommend doing this every 30K miles or so (severe service in the Kia manual is every 60K miles so your choice).

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6-opti...-first-one.html

I would add that you NEVER should let your AT fluid pump run out of fluid while running if you are using the trans cooler hose method! I'd also suggest (and I wish I did this the first time I changed my fluid) to do the simple drain/fill method three times (don't need to do the measuring of the fluid level 1st or 2nd time, just put 6qts in, drain it out fully out on the next cycle) and take it for a drive between cycles. On the last drain/fill cycle (#3), do the fluid level check. Doing the 3X drain/fill will have safely removed the most old fluid out. Yes, it will require you to purchase 18 quarts of fluid of which only the last 6 are kept in the tranny. It's really your choice, you might just do it 2x instead of 3x cycle.

Good information ... Current Kia takes SPIII : Can you use the newer SPIV in a '07 Kia that was spec'd for SPIII ?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back