I bought a $400 camry with holes in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a while back I heard my mom was trading off her 02 camry for a subaru. Thwarted that and intercepted the trade. Love the car. But it's starting to show some rust, particularly on the trunk floor/ unibody support for the rear bumper.

Well, heck, let's keep the salt off of that by buying a worse car. Enter this thing. Same year. Same engine/transmission. 201k miles. Went to look at it, noted a hole in the floor and rockers and a crummy clutch.

I was the second to inquire; seller told me he'd text me if the first buyer fell through. First buyer flaked out so I looked at it at 10 pm. Figured it would sell quickly.

Inspected it, first impression was that it was pretty shabby from rust. Told the seller I wasn't interested, he dropped the price as I was walking to my car. I undercut him right back; he asked his wife, deal done. They had a manila folder an inch thick of receipts which I told 'em to recycle. Printed some 4-page long bill of sale off the internet. Goofballs. On to the car:

I saw this rust hole when I looked it over and feared what else there could be. Turns out it was a local hole! No idea how it got here and how the rest of the floor is saved.

Same thing from below. Perfect-hole-perfect

Previous owner decided to Pop_rivet some tin over the rocker area. And put silly foam in. This will need help, obviously, but should be do-able.

More later!

Don't you need title to register it? That's how we do it in NJ.

My engine mounts are getting rusty in my Corolla but nothing like that. Drive it often and put many miles on it before it disintegrates.

Someone spill their coke? I saw the like in another vehicle when someone had put a battery in the trunk
Good luck on your swiss car

You might want to post a warning about the graphic pictures before gregk24 wanders into this thread.
grin.gif

Yeah I have a title (needed for 1995 and newer!), it's just funny that they couldn't fudge up a 2-sentence bill of sale on a chit of paper.

It runs okay and the problem is the fairly obvious hole in the floor. No timing belt to worry about. So whatever it has going on, will get my attention.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why'd you tell them to recycle the maintenance receipts?

What are you going to do with them?

That was a steal. And you would have the guts to under cut as a guy cuts price as you walk away. LOL. Kudos to you and your noreastern frankness. You got a real nice car there. She'd sell for at least $3,500 here in WI even with the hole. No knocks, squeals or abs lights?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

What are you going to do with them?
I'd flip through them and see when it's had a radiator, a water pump, struts etc. to see how long it's been.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
No knocks, squeals or abs lights?

Nope.

After the guy made his counter-offer I took another peek underneath and he said, "the rust is the same as it was a minute ago."
lol.gif

Back in my late teens my mothers Corolla had a similar sized hole in the drivers floor. I pinched a road sign, cut it with a hacksaw, shaped it with paving stones, laid it on the floor then drilled and bolted it down. On the underside I cleaned it with a wire brush then sealed it with fiberglass paste and sheets. Shortly after my mom traded it in for a chevette. Gotta love road grime.

Slacktide_bitog: I've been oil spraying my cars every other year with Krown for awhile. $130.00 well spent.

i

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
You might want to post a warning about the graphic pictures before gregk24 wanders into this thread.
grin.gif

confused.gif

Cause its a $400 Camry with holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back