Smaller Fram filter costs more... odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just priced Ultra filters for my Insight and Civic hybrids. Both filters are identical & interchangeable except the Civic is slightly longer (more capacity). Here's what I thought was odd:

$10.15 XG6607 (short)
$ 9.44 XG7317 (long)

I would normally expect the longer version to cost more, since it has more metal in the case & more material inside.

Buy them on ebay in a pack of 6. You get them for ~$4.50 a piece. Don't pay full retail for Fram Ultras.

I'm not a pricing expert.

There is a liquor store by me that sells a certain brand of cheaper beer. $3.29 a 6-pack, $6.99 a 12-pack.

I'm not telling them.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
I just priced Ultra filters for my Insight and Civic hybrids. Both filters are identical & interchangeable except the Civic is slightly longer (more capacity). Here's what I thought was odd:

$10.15 XG6607 (short)
$ 9.44 XG7317 (long)

I would normally expect the longer version to cost more, since it has more metal in the case & more material inside.

The pricing in this case is more by sales and demand for one over the other...profit maximization is the goal..

Many popular sizes are not that cheap on Ebay.........

Originally Posted By: GRWOil
Buy them on ebay in a pack of 6. You get them for ~$4.50 a piece. Don't pay full retail for Fram Ultras.

I just picked up an XG6607 Ultra for $8.40 at my local Walmart. I think size has little to do with price difference. I think it has more to do with manufactured volumes.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
I'm not a pricing expert.

There is a liquor store by me that sells a certain brand of cheaper beer. $3.29 a 6-pack, $6.99 a 12-pack.

I'm not telling them.

PM details requested.

Hard to figure how things are priced. Cartridge filters are often priced as much or more than Canister. Seems to me
they should be much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Many popular sizes are not that cheap on Ebay.........

I've seen them for $3.33-6.25 per filter. I never see the cheapest listing for any one size get more expensive than $6.25.

I've seen them for $3.33-6.25 per filter. I never see the cheapest listing for any one size get more expensive than $6.25.

Not to get too pedantic, but the cheapest I can find XG6607 on eBay is $39.99 for six (6.67 each). There is a seller who has six of the almost-identical FPS6607 for $37.98 (6.33 each) but that's the lowest I can find. Same deal for the 7317 Ultras, cheapest seller has em for $6.66 apiece, though there is someone selling six FPS7317 for just under $36 so that's a good alternative.

On the other hand, I can get six packs of XG3387A for just over $4 each. Wish both of my cars could use those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back